CNN - Great job until the end when things got painful. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CNN

"Great job until the end when things got painful."

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Senior Producer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CNN full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salaries are great, benefits are as well. You're on the front lines of every major news story in the world.

Cons

Management structure is out of control, too many cooks in the kitchen. 24/7 work cycle - holidays just don't happen.

Advice to Management

Be more interactive with direct reports. Don't manage from afar.

Other Employee Reviews for CNN

1. "Editorial Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in New York, NY

I worked at CNN as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Looks amazing on resume. Great experience, especially in the bureau during breaking news. IT'S A PAID INTERNSHIP! Learn a lot of tips and tricks just by observing. Easy to meet other interns, great program in general.

Cons

People were welcoming at first but I always noticed catiness (which is normal for any newsroom, especially when people hang out outside the office). There were days when it would be completely dead and then other days when it would get so incredibly crazy (interns are ignored in both situations). I interned on weekends so be prepared when making scheduling to keep it all open during the week or you'll be commuting on a sunday!

Advice to Management

I understand interns can be a liability, but especially in this case where we are paid I feel like we weren't taken advantage of. Maybe send us out on shoots more. I used to volunteer but get ignored. Every manager has a different style, some would have us work on assignments, others would tell us to sit tight and wait for something to happen. It was a great experience overall, and I had the chance to help out on shows and also spent some time in the bureau! Advice to future interns--don't be afraid to speak up and talk to people about their position! Unfortunately I'm a shy person sometimes so it was difficult at times but if you're the type that can go up to anyone and shadow them DO IT!

2. "Great people. But it's corporate."

Former Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CNN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers! Very laid back environment.

Cons

No growth. Poor leadership. There's no clear definition between UI/UX design and motion design.