CSC - Quite Satisfied | Glassdoor

"Quite Satisfied"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
Current Employee - Operations Manager

Pros

I work hard and well, and have been recognized for it - having been promoted three times in 12 years, and my salary has more than doubled in that time. There is a general feeling that the company values its employees. We frequently receive notices about upcoming training opportunities. When a contract ends, the company makes an effort to find positions within the company for those employees whose jobs are ending.
At my work site, managers allow great flexibility in personal schedule, and there is no dress code. It's a very comfortable, casual atmosphere. As long as we get our work done, things are mostly great.

Cons

Compensation, including benefits, for professionals seems to be a little below average. We used to be allowed to accrue up to twice our annual vacation allowance. Now the annual allowance is the maximum. As a result, new employees (1st 4 years) can't take vacations longer than 2 weeks.
I normally don't pay close attention to company issues - I focus on doing my work. But there is a disturbingly frequent sense among my peers that senior management are making decisions that are designed to reward themselves (through bonuses), and negatively impact employees (e.g., the recent change in vacation policy, and elimination of of of the retirement plans).

Advice to Management

Every year employees have to complete an on-line ethics refresher. It seems like senior management may need it too. Please keep short and long term interests of all stakeholders in mind when making decisions. I'm hoping CSC never makes the headlines because of "ethical challenges" of our top management.

Other Employee Reviews for CSC

1. "Best job I've ever had - let's hope I keep it"

Current Employee - Business Designer
    Current Employee - Business Designer

Pros

Challenging work environment - projects can range from a few weeks to over a year, and you can both learn new skills and advance the ones you have - they very much act to grow talent from within....

Cons

... or at least they did. They still *try*, but several rounds of layoffs and a reorg or two has broken the system down a bit. While people are still strongly motivated to be billable (especially with concerns of further cutbacks if new revenue is not brought in), and advancement continues, the training aspects have taken a back seat to where they were in the past. This is understandable, but perhaps a bit short sighted in the long run, especially if the pool of unassigned resources is larger than normal. To me, this would be an excellent time to crosstrain.

Advice to Management

You're doing a good job of communicating to us about the difficulties in the market, and we understand that some things are outside your control. You've expressed confidence that there is a way out of the wilderness, but that's not necessarily how those of us in the trenches see things.

2. "Run for your Life"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hanover, MD

Pros

Benefits, Flex Time, Hands Off

Cons

Extremely hands off, Never met with my manager, no one knew what I was doing at anytime. E-mails to managers were never answered. Company policies were distributed to employees by placing them on community area tables! Open Door policy , except no one is in to talk to.

Advice to Management

Mid Level managers were awful. Need to train mid-level managers on good employee relations and practices