CSC - System Administrator | Glassdoor

"System Administrator"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Annapolis Junction, MD
Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long term contract and a steady paycheck. Some very knowledgeable employees.

Cons

Poor management. Could care less about their employees. More re-active than pro-active. No interaction between different teams and limited sharing of knowledge.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage people.

Other Employee Reviews for CSC

"They don't know what I do for company they contracted me out to"

Current Employee - Associate Programmer Analyst in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Programmer Analyst in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at CSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get paid so little I probably have zero chance of being fired. Also the job was mostly 9-5 with a couple deployment weekends here and there. Altogether not so bad for IT.

Cons

CSC managers don't really know or care what actual work I'm doing for Farmers. CSC is also losing ground to other contracting firms within Farmers insurance.

They don't care what you were hired as or want to do in your career, they will just assign you to a project within their client.

Advice to Management

Don't be cheap (pay market rate to retain employees and keep clients happy with the workforce you provide). Be more supportive of your employees career goals. Stop charging clients lots of money for people with no experience.

"CSC - Big company that treats employees like temp agency resources. Run away!"

Former Employee - Partner & Practice Director in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Partner & Practice Director in Falls Church, VA

I worked at CSC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allows employees to work remotely. Good benefit given that many team members are disbursed across US. If you are recently out of college, you can get good experience because you will be overworked. You will get 2 years of experience in 1 year!

Glad I was laid off by CSC with 600 other employees. It gave me the opportunity to go work for a better company with better pay, better benefits, better culture.

Cons

Benefits are terrible now. In 2013, CSC reduced the benefit coverage yet raised prices to employees at a higher level than companies of similar size. They also changed their 401K matching so that they will only contribute to your account at the end of the year. They do not match it as you contribute every pay period. The catch is if you aren't employed as of 12/31, they don't have to contribute 1 penny to your account.

Training, mentoring and true management of staff does not exist. Company is 55 years old but behaves as a start-up with no formal processes, templates or governance. Work is done by heroic efforts rather than having defined plans and adequate staffing. Company will lay off (they call it a reduction in force) any employee who is not billable to direct clients regardless of your previous success or expertise. Employees are treated like temp agency bodies. I am not a disgruntled former employee. I wish no malice but this company's credibility is quickly eroding due to inability to win new contracts or keep existing contracts. Good employees are actively looking to jump off of this sinking ship. Sorry to say all this. But hopefully it will keep new candidate employees from thinking they are going to work for a 1st class organization.

Advice to Management

I worked with the VPs and executive team. They were polite, political and paralyzed. Their ability to have a vision and develop a strategy to execute was non-existent. Its the good old boys network. Employees were overworked and received on average 1.5% raises unless you were part of the good ole boys network. They advertise they provide training to obtain certifications and paid education reimbursement but once you're hired they tell you those benefits are temporarily suspended. Directors often say their VPs don't communicate with them so Directors feel they can't effectively lead their teams based on corporate direction.