CSX - A lot of games... Not for professionals | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CSX

"A lot of games... Not for professionals"

Former Employee - Trainmaster in Fort Wayne, IN
Former Employee - Trainmaster in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at CSX full-time

Pros

If you like working outdoors there is plenty of that. (Note: if you don't like working outdoors, just add this and only real "pro" to the exceedingly long list of cons.

Cons

There are far too many cons to this industry, company, and job to list in this space. So I will highlight a few that had a profound impact on my experience:
1) Functional silos - ensuring the movement of tons of freight across your territiory safely and on time while working cross functionally is a pipe dream
2) Corporate culture - cultivated by fear and frat house traditions
3) Operational leadership- leaders in the field do not pocess the skills and abilities to manage employees or make sound buisness decisions
4) Double talk - status quo is not only expected its how you survive
5) "People make the difference" - the biggest myth at CSX is that you matter to the organization, in reality you and your opinions are meaningless and any attempt to affect change through postive contribution is futile. You are a number... take your geographical assignment, ask no questions and pray no one gets injured during your "watch."

Advice to Management

My advice to management and HR is to read this post...

More importantly is my advice to prospective job candidates, if you are looking for a rewarding career in which you will grow in the transportation or supply chain industry while making a profound impact... BEWARE this is not the opportunity you seek.

Other Employee Reviews for CSX

"Hired to many people at one time!"

Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at CSX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good retirement and health bennifits

Cons

Poor planning on certain issues

"Your nothing but a number. Company really could care less about you. Management only wants to make a name for themselves"

Current Employee - Conductor in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Conductor in Mobile, AL

I have been working at CSX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You make life long friends out here but also enemies. Most are fun to work with and make the job bearable. The pay is good and the retirement can't be beat. But don't let the railroad fool you into thinking they make that happen. That's your Union at work for you. You also get to see and do things here you never would have had the opportunity to before. Pay could be better compared to other railroads but overall not bad. The experience you gain is great as well.

Cons

Too many to list but I'll try! 1. Management does not really care for you. Only what they can do to make themselves look good. Most of the management are straight out of college with no experience in railroading however expect you to respect their authority and like to think they know how the railroad operates when in truth they are clueless. 2. They are out to fire you. Why would that be you may ask? Let me outline it for you. The government pays them subsidies for hiring the American worker. They then train you and make you believe you have just started a wonderful career and that you will be here for a very long time. Neglecting to tell you that most likely you will be furloughed the first day you are done with your training. You could be furloughed up to a full year and all the while CSX has made money off the government while you sit around hoping to get called again. They pretty much bank on the fact that you most likely will not return. This however helps them look good to the public and their shareholders for all PR purposes to look like they are helping the Economy and hiring people. It makes it look like they are doing so much business that they have to hire new people. The management is actually told to write people up. That they have written the rule books so that there is no way that the employee can ever be 100 percent rule compliant. 3. Your family life will be non existent. The divorce rate on the railroad is through the roof. Since joining the railroad it has been a struggle just to keep my marriage afloat. My son hates me and my daughter cries all the time because I'm never Home! I've missed two thanksgivings and one Christmas so far. I've missed my anniversary 4 times and all of my sons ball games. This company does nothing to help you on this matter and could care less. Again you are nothing but a number. The only reason people stay here is for the retirement. The railroad is nothing like what it use to be. It's only about the dollar. Corporate greed at its finest with CSX. This year, we have been told that due to Hurricane Isaac we will not be getting our yearly bonus, however Mr. Micheal Ward, the company CEO got his bonus of over 9 million dollars. Way to care about your employees Mr. Ward. Again There are entirely too many to list here but i can assure you that the cons FAR outweigh the pros You have to ask yourself whats important in you life and if you are ready to sacrifice all that for a bunch of empty promises. I'm only still here because the job market in this area is horrible and this is whats paying the bills

Advice to Management

Learn your Job to the letter. Start trying to help us instead of looking down your nose at us. You want respect? It's earned. Mistakes happen. We don't want them to happen either but they do! Firing everyone is not the answer! Sure if it is a constant problem with that employee go ahead. But if he makes only one mistake in three or five years, do you really think that merits tarnishing his record?! Also for the even higher ups, Moving your train-masters around every 2-4 years?! Really?! How does this promote a healthy love of the company? I would love to be a train-master. I have more than enough experience, plus I have a college degree but I'm not willing to uproot my family every three years to do this. For some reason, you expect everyone but you to sacrifice. The morale of this company is worst than anything I've ever seen and you could care less. It's a proven fact that higher morale of employees equals higher production and less turnover. I think you guys need to realize that this isn't the military. But what do you care? You get to go home every night. You get to have a social life don't you? Good. I'm happy for you. Perhaps, one day you can be shown the same kindness you show us guys out here on the road.