CTDI - Good growth and opportunity | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CTDI

"Good growth and opportunity"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN
Current Employee - Project Manager in Nashville, TN

Pros

Opportunity to give your own insight on operations

Cons

Senior management lack of forward thinking

Advice to Management

Better planning

Other Employee Reviews for CTDI

"If you're not related then you don't exist"

Former Employee - Analyst in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Analyst in West Chester, PA

Pros

Fast Paced enviroment.
    Learned a lot quickly
    Worked Independently, not micro managed
    Some decent coworkers
    Days went by quickly

Cons

Long hours
    Management makes committments that are impossible and forces employees to do "whatever it takes" to please the customer.
    Always reacting never fix known problems ahead of time
    Many people placed in jobs that they aren't qualified for and qualified people are stuck picking up the slack.
    Zero control over career movements.
    Unethical decisions
    Even when you're right, you're wrong

"A professional hired to do a job in an extremely unprofessional environment."

Former Employee - Don't Work Here in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Don't Work Here in West Chester, PA

Pros

When it comes to 3rd party repairs of telecom equipment, Communications Test Design is the only show in town. As a result all of the big players (Comcast, Verizon, Nortell, etc.) all use CTDI to repair their equipment. So as long as CTDI is the only one, they will always have business.

Cons

There is absolutely no chain of command here at this company. Anything below the VP level is crazy and confused. When I was there I had one official boss. Besides him, there were two others who had almost nothing to do with what was going on in my area. These two could order around my boss and his boss also on a whim (which they often did). These two guys had the interpersonal skills of either a small child who was put in charge of an operation without any knowledge, training or real world skills and the other is an IT guy. Neither had the temperament or knowledge to do the jobs they were supposed to be doing, let alone work with actual people on a shop floor.

Even though I asked weekly, the entire time I was there I could not get anybody to tell me exactly what my job expectations or responsibilities were. As many times as I asked I couldn't get one for the supervisors that I was in charge of and I knew for a fact my boss couldn't get one for himself either. This lack of listed responsibilities, would I have stayed a full year, would have then affected any sort of annual review process. How are you supposed to be evaluated by your superiors on your work over the last year, reward success and plan for improvement if you have no base line? In the end this wouldn't have mattered much because guess what? There is no annual review process here! In fact when I asked my boss if he was given a 90 day review to tell him how he was doing, he literally laughed at me.

As for the work being done at CTDI, even though they are the only company that really do what they do, they will do absolutely ANYTHING to get more business. This would include the innovative tactic of literally telling any potential client they can do whatever they ask, even if the task does not allow for them to make money. No thought at all is given to whether or not taking on a new process will make the company money or not. None! As a result there are now several money loosing, non-standard processes that exist at CTDI. And when there, on several occasions I saw new processes enter the building that appeared to have been thought about just as hard as any of the previous ones. On one hand it is a bonus for your business to quickly adapt to new opportunities. But I would not call walking into a warehouse floor and saying that you have 5 days to move your operation to put in a new one is a good thing. As soon as we jumped at the demand to do this (and that is all it was, just a demand without any instructions, guidance or direction), all I heard about for next few weeks was how poorly the move was conducted. Again, no guidance, just the same no interpersonal skill having individuals running around butting there heads into areas where they don’t' belong making demands.

Finally, there is HR. This company has absolutely the most spineless HR department I have ever seen! There is a complete lack of performance standards in any department and it sure seems as if they like it that way. In any and all attempts I made to contact HR about the disciplinary process, I was either rebuffed or ignored. In fact, even though I made numerous attempts to contact HR managers to discuss the disciplinary process, the only time I actually got to sit down with them was the day I was being let go.

Advice to Management

Clearly define your chain of responsibility. Having more then one boss is bad, having more then two is worse. It is okay to have a boss and a boss’s boss and so forth but to have ambiguous bosses that can make demands of departments they are in charge of is a terrible way to run a business.

Create codified job responsibilities for employees. How can you expect people to do what you want them to do if they don't know what you want them to do? This is very basic level business school stuff. I'm almost embarrassed to be making this suggestion to 40 and 50 year old men when I'm sure any first year 23 year old MBA student would obviously know this fact. And for god's sake, have an annual review process. I can't imagine how terrible it would have been come end of year one and there was no logical way to determine compensation.