CUNA Mutual - Great Company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CUNA Mutual

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Specialist
Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at CUNA Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work at home, salary & benefits. Managers are great, they help with career development & opportunities

Cons

There are no cons working for this company, I enjoyed working here.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for Management

Other Employee Reviews for CUNA Mutual

"They do not care about employees. At all."

Current Employee - Lending Protection Manager
    Current Employee - Lending Protection Manager

I have been working at CUNA Mutual (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the work I did while I was there. Compensation structure was good.

Cons

People are disposable. The company uses the "at will" clause of your employment to randomly fire people. There are jokes among employees that you don't want to be at the very top or the very bottom of your team - basically the culture is keep your head down and don't draw attention to yourself. I saw many coworkers fired (not laid off - fired) because they were "only" meeting and slightly exceeding goals, and their manager felt they should be far excceding goal. What is the point of goals then?
    In short, there is absolutely no job security and you never know who will be next to go.

Advice to Management

Work to change the culture of fear and stop treating employees as disbosable.

"HR department nonexistent and managers do whatever they want"

I worked at CUNA Mutual full-time

Pros

Nice building and good benefits/pay. There is a cafeteria on site. Some of the people are nice.

Cons

Shark coworkers and workplace bullying is rampant. Performance review system has no checks from HR because they are non-existent so is very poorly done. They wrap themselves in the credit union movement "for people, not profits" but profits is all they are really about. High work loads and no training program for new hires. CEO believes that people are disposable and constantly seeks to get rid of the lowest performers regardless of their performance. Very negative work environment.

Advice to Management

If you are going to layoff and fire people willy nilly, expect a negative work environment from the stress of seeing your coworkers get the ax. Don't fool yourself that the employees are happy and the only ones that will stay have either got too much invested or are workplace bullies. You don't have a performance based culture - you have a fear based culture and everyone is afraid to take risks. You are letting workplace bullies get rid of the highest performing workers so it's backfiring on you. Give your HR department some power to monitor your managers so they don't just do whatever they want.