CVS Health - Great for first time retail experience, not for long term career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

"Great for first time retail experience, not for long term career."

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in New York, NY
Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Decent health benefits.
- 30% off CVS brands and 20% off everything else (excludes prescriptions, gift cards, etc.)
- Vacations are given as long as you request +2 weeks before.
- Learn general basics of retail.
- Overtime is rarely given unless you are worth the pay/work to help out another store.

Cons

If you're looking for growth within a company, this is not for you.

- Tasking wise, the titles that go from cashier, photo tech, head cashier, to shift supervisor are all basically the same. Only difference is you'll either have to do photo and/or be the key holding ALONG with doing all the tasks everyone else has to do.
(Tip: Don't offer to do truck or photo unless you enjoy it or else you'll be stuck in those positions forever. You won't get brownie points for sucking up, you'll just be making yourself miserable.)

- Photo and beauty departments are falling apart. Both departments in every store have no direct report above them since they were all let go nationwide in the past couple of years. Therefore their direct report are the assistant/store manager and district manager, except the district managers are usually too "busy" in their corporate office having absolutely NO perception of time for the tasks given. Basically just like every other corporation, there's always that one person above you who has no idea what they're talking about because they've never done it themselves to know what it is that you do.

- Pay is awful. Cashiers get paid from a range of $7.50-10 (no different from any retail company). However, Photo and Shift supervisors get paid from a range of $9-13? A little ridiculous when shift supervisors will get paid only a few dollars more to do push, cycle counts, pull truck, ring, customer service, photo, AND open/close the store as manager on duty while your assistant manager may do the same along with damage/product withdrawals and payroll except they get paid 2 or 3 times amount. Especially now that assistant manager are no longer salary (changed to hourly due to a lawsuit), and they are just bringing home the bacon working 45 hours per week and getting that extra +5 hr overtime plus extra if they decide to stay later the last day.

Problem is CVS would rather rotate incompetent employees for $8.00 every once in a while instead of paying a competent worker that would stay much longer and do a lot more work. I understand it's all about profit, sales, and customer service...but good luck being successful in all three categories when you have unqualified workers while getting rid of the good ones.

Advice to Management

An employee like myself would've stayed if there was any growth within the company. However hiring external new college graduates who have no experience that run around like a chicken with their head cut off is not worth it. You pay them +35k salary and while they rake in the money, they'll leave for another company that pays more. Learn from consistent errors such as this one.

Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health

"It will build you up, then tear you down!"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Woodbury, CT
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Woodbury, CT

I have been working at CVS Health part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome experience! I learned so much. Great way to learn customer services. Amazing first job. Love being able to help customers. Time goes by FAST (unless your by the register all day). Fun job. Great co-workers (sometimes drama but most of the time it's good people). Did I also say great experience? You'll learn a lot!

Cons

If your looking for pay, go somewhere else! By the way, corporate does NOT care about the employee! IF your store isn't meeting budget, your screwed! Even if you're doing everything you can. It was great until corporate cut hours. Now, we are ALWAYS short-handed. Employees abused hours when we had them, probably because regular employees are not stimulated, make
    minimum wage, and do not have to take a drug test. So what did they do, the abused hours when we had them. Now we don't, and corporate abuses us. How can you serve around 300 to 500 customers a shift with only one or two cashiers, and a manager? How can you expect things to get
     done? Because FSI (Front Store Inventory): stocking and such, is now more important than customer services, CVS has become a miserable place to work at, and a shop at too! CVS stands for Customer Value Service. Is it good customer service to have folks waiting in line for over 5 minutes EVERY DAY because there are no hours? We also HAVE to promote the flu shot, and I always feel bad when folks come in telling us how they got really sick after getting it. And don't even let me start talking about the pharmacy. It is HORRIBLE. Let me explain: CVS does a good job caring a good selection of drugs, and a good selection of generic drugs too. But everyone is OVERWORKED and underpaid. There is no room for advancement. And customers always come in with problems because the customer service SUCKS. Since everyone is overworked, NOBODY cares about the customer. And it makes sales in the front store go down.

Advice to Management

GIVE US MORE MANAGEMENT HOURS!!!! Good customer service comes from having a good crew, you need man-power. How can you run a store with no workers? One or two good workers is not enough to run an entire store, let alone a pharmacy. PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES. The amount of work a shift supervisor does for the pay we get is unfair. We OPEN AND CLOSE the store! We should get paid more. Some of us make under 10 dollars an hour. Invest in photo, because customers get upset about that. Pay more attention to external theft, not just internal. AND STOP ABUSING EMPLOYEES. The DMs and LP managers blame us for the silliest things, but do not help us get more hours for fix the problems. They make some of the employees cry, they are cruel! Be kind. It would go a long way.

2. "CVS Caremark"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team _ Excellent work environment. flexible hours and understanding management. There is also balance work load. you don't have to stay overtime often. It is very rare and the work load is very manageable. There are good systems in place, which eliminates mundane activities. CVS is a very profitable business with the current economic conditions it is a very safe company to work for.

Cons

Limited opportunities to move within comany unless willing to relocate