CVS Health - Completely dysfunctional company with terrible hiring practice | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

"Completely dysfunctional company with terrible hiring practice"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CVS Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn about a bad example of a retail firm for somebody new in a workforce. Also a poster-child of a firm destroying the very consumers it feeds off of. Selling crap at the front (mostly liquor, cigarettes, candies,chemicals of all sort, and seasonal trash) while hawking the drugs for all the ailments it causes at the back.

Cons

Terrible shifts and irrational demands on management, resulting in very high level of stress that ultimately reflects on personal life. The company actually breeds sadomasochistic failed human beings.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror and try to see the damage you are causing.

Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health

1. "Shift Supervisor"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor A in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

store was close to home

Cons

management does not care about the people...

Advice to Management

take care of your people.

"Getting the experience I want, at an unpleasant cost."

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician CPhT

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Co-workers and regular customers here are amazing

-Job security is nice. Would have to mess up big time. (Not making all "patient outreach calls" however, is considered messing up big time - even if there's 120+)

-Job experience is nice as well. As a future pharmacist-to-be, I'm racking up experience and have seen the good, the bad, and the plain evil of corporate run pharmacies.

Cons

-Hours cut in the middle of week to meet budget and upper level management surprised when we're not doing so well. Can be very strict on hours (I've been "written up" for going over 5 minutes one week)

-Requires a lot of dedication with no real benefits for the dedication

-No competitive pay, and both wage and raises are static. No raise or compensation for certification. No assistance in maintaining CPhT status, or renewal of license. You pay to work for them.

-In both stores I've worked, there is "full service" (Pick up & Drop Off) in 2 drive-thru lanes - with 1 employee working them both and only 1 register. New "We-Care" system in second lane requires multiple back and forth trips of the tube while Lane 1 can be done much easier

-Little respect for employees from upper management. The customer is always right, even if its their fault. (ex: phoned in wrong medicine to be refilled)

-Numbers,numbers,numbers. On weekends, patients must be called to prompt them to fill old prescriptions. Every prescription is timed, and must be filled before said time or it counts against your execution "score." From when a patient calls the store to when you answer is timed. When a patient pulls into the drive-thru to when an employee pushes the button on the phone (**not when the employee is actually at the window, you must still push the button if you are right there anyways**) is timed.

-Customer-based "scoring." Customers are constantly given the opportunity to "score" how well your performance was in helping them. This is a good idea. However, CVS has RickyBobby syndrome. When you are scored from 0-5 (0 bad, 5 excellent), anything from 0-4 gets defaulted to a 0. ONLY 5's count. If you ain't first, you're last.

-High stress environment. Even when customers are nice, it is stressful with 10+ people waiting around the pharmacy, some watching your every move. Out of our 5 full time techs, 3 have a prescription for a nerve pill.

-In my state, we often work illegally. The state board of pharmacy states the pharmacist/tech ratio should be 1:2. The worst I've ever seen is 7 techs to 1 pharmacist.

Advice to Management

After seeing some of the numbers, I know more hours should be available. Spend less on advertising "15 minutes or less" and give stores more hours to actually just do it. No reason why a store making $76,000 profit in 1 month should have long wait times and low ratings due to skeleton staffing.