CVS Health - Hope to STAY at CVS | Glassdoor

"Hope to STAY at CVS"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Woonsocket, RI
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Woonsocket, RI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, bonus, experience, opportunity to learn and grow. They take employee engagement seriously.

I have a great boss today (can't always say that has been true). Good bosses help make all the difference.

If you don't like where you are or are looking to learn something new, you can always move to another department or group. This company is so large, there's always opportunities to continue to learn and grow.

Cons

I'll start by saying I LOVE CVS and while I have worked here long enough to be able to document quite a few cons... none of this makes me appreciate the company any less. There are things in any company that could be improved. CVS seems to be dedicated to improve and continues to put a high degree of focus on their employee engagement scores and improving things. Here are some of the areas I have listed as cons:

Recent lowering of bonus % through 'harmonization' made the bonus program less competitive and could cost great candidates.

Being here at CVS for over seven years, I have had about nine different supervisors. There's alot of re-organization that happens on the IT side. That can be a real negative, since it takes time to build a relationship with your supervisor and help move your career along. If you keep getting reorg'd it's easy to get lost and frustrated with a lack of promotion / advancement, especially in the very large IT structure.

The number of females and ethic people at the VP / Sr. VP level is not nearly where it should be. There's a way to go there, although they are improving with recent promotions of women at the upper management positions. Need to keep focusing on diversity. It's painful to keep seeing great candidates overlooked for forty to fifty-something white men with less talent.

Promotion from within could be better... many times we get a new exec that brings a big list of people from their former company. More recently with CIO / CTO and VP of Programs all coming from Avaya have had an influx of people from Avaya taking over top spots under them. It's very de-motivating for those who worked at CVS and are worthy and deserving of those positions to be overlooked as they continue to bring in new people.

I agree with others that middle-management really needs training / improvement. I have only had one really good manager who could motivate people and really make individuals feel appreciated. The other eight or sp were not good managers at all. Since I was self-motivated, I made the best of it, but I could see some individuals become very apathetic and service suffered.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with Values in Action. Harmonization, lowering % of bonus dollars was a real negative. The competitive bonus program became much less so and may cost you some great candidates.

Do some training at the management levels. Their behavior can make the difference in productivity and performance of your employees and can also contribute to turnover.

Promote more from within - put some goals around it to Management. Make it known that qualified individuals will be able to climb the ladder.

Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health

1. "Very customer-oriented in the past year, but not seeing much change in stores besides my own. A bit disappointing."

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the right location you have a fun environment, and good customers. The company has us do "wellness review" each year which I think is brilliant. I like that they attempt to take care of their employees on the healthcare front.

Cons

SO OBSESSED WITH USING AS LITTLE HOURS AS POSSIBLE. Mean DMs. They do nothing to alleviate stress on the management in each and every store. Once the store is receiving good customer reviews they cut the hours and tell them to get the good scores on less hours. Its more than ridiculous. If you have their insurance you HAVE to buy your scripts from them. The prices are so high compared to Rite-Aid or Walmart and I'm on a lot and theres no help from the company to help me pay for my prescriptions.

Advice to Management

Stop being so concerned with saving hours. If you want excellent customer service, give the stores enough for at least two cashiers at all times PLUS a supervisor, and a tech at each station in pharmacy.

2. "Pleasant experience"

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Wantagh, NY
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Wantagh, NY

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyable staff to work with and friendly customers

Cons

Minimum pay raises, hard to make more money.