CVS Health - Rewarding in growth opportunities, terrible in pay and employee relations. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

"Rewarding in growth opportunities, terrible in pay and employee relations."

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- There was so much opportunity and room for growth at CVS. I started there as a cashier and ended as a store manager, if you want it CVS is more than happy to give it to you.
- Plenty of open opportunities in front store, pharmacy and corporate allowing a lot of freedom to move and experience the company as a whole.
- In the last several years I worked there they really changed and only promoted to higher positions from within the company. At one point they would just hire managers off the street and pay them insanely more than the other managers who had worked there for years.
- VERY flexible with hours, more so than any other employer I have ever heard of
- They take the 40 hour work week (except for store managers and up) very seriously and are always making sure that employees are receiving their breaks
- It seems obvious with CVS being a PBM but the benefits for full-time employees were fantastic.
- Always developing and implementing new systems that have a competitive edge over competitors.

Cons

- Pay Pay Pay! They expect you to start your cashiers out at Minimum wage! and once they screw you in the beginning there is no rescue! The yearly increases are PATHETIC (2%)!! the only real way to get any extra is to get promoted (6%) and even then they'll try to screw you out of pay. When you hit store management they try to screw you again and use your bonus (which isn't guaranteed) as a reason to offer you lower salary. I get that its a decision from MUCH higher up the ladder than retail management but they expect people to work hard and living/breath CVS while paying them total crap compared to other places which have you do less for more.
- They don't really give a crap about how their employees feel about working there. They set up a good front with the yearly employee satisfaction survey and they do indeed implement new programs each year based on the results (which are available to ALL employees). Somehow they fail every year to address the real issues with working there, the SAME 3 or 4 questions have been the worst rated questions for YEARS and NOTHING has been done to address them. Instead they try to distract you with stupid things like letting staff decorate their break rooms and new helpful system on the Telxons for doing tedious tasks like push. Your voices are being heard, corporate just has selective hearing.
- Every try to cram 10 pounds of crap into a 2 pound bag? CVS does every day. Unless your store is bringing in SERIOUS cash flow you get the joyous status of "minimum hours store" (which is almost everybody). Unless you have an all star staff (good luck getting that with the pay rates they allow) you're pretty much going to spend 50 hours a week or more at your store to get everything done on time and properly, oh and you're only going to get paid for 45 of those hours... ever. If I got paid for the hours I was expected to work over 45 in all my time as a store manager that job would be totally worth it.
- Corporate will make all sorts of promises to you to get you to something undesirable. Word of advice, get that crap in writing and signed by you both. Corporate has to be the most epic liar I have ever known and if you don't have that written proof they are going to turn around and slap you in the face with it.
- Think long and hard before taking on any kind of real challenge. Once you accept it, you're stuck there. If you lose the challenge you lose your job. As I said before make sure you have a written and signed plan of action for such an instance. After 9 years of loyal and dedicated service to CVS and proven ability to successfully manage stores and people they were just fine to throw me out after not being able to recover a store which would have been better off being burned and rebuilt.

Advice to Management

- Don't make promises you can't deliver on.
- If you put someone into a position who isn't ready because none of the other people who work for you are willing to do it don't act shocked when it doesn't work out as expected.
- Don't let great long time employees go because of your failure to properly manage your people and business.
- Watch the favoritism. I was lucky to always be on the favorite side but watching the way some of the less fortunate managers were treated was bad many times.

Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health

"Great place if you like working where you are not appreciated."

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Appleton, WI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you don't mind being paid a mediocre rate (at best) then you'll have job security. Employee is discount is decent, wonder how long they'll keep that around before they realize they could be making even more money by discontinuing it.

Cons

"You would have to combine the wages of more than 400 hourly CVS Caremark employees to match the salary of the company’s CEO, Larry Merlo." Which represents the largest disparity of any of the top 100 highest grossing companies in the US. After working here for almost a decade this didn't surprise me in the least. The culture at CVS has evolved to the point where management doesn't even try to disguise the fact that they care only about making money for the folks at the top of the pyramid, and not a damn about those of us actually doing the work day in and day out. The other unfortunate reality is that most people who show promise at their work usual leave to go do ANYTHING else because the pay is equal or better than what CVS offers. I wouldn't recommend that anyone pursue a "career" as a pharmacy technician, it is a thankless and future-less job.

Advice to Management

My advice would be that people who haven't actually worked in a fairly busy store in the last five years should have absolutely no say in policy being made in said stores. Next time a new procedure comes down from on high and you look at it and think how completely ridiculous it is, just remember that it was developed by a group who have either never worked in a retail pharmacy, or haven't done it since computers were introduced.

"5 years and 2 promotions is a lot for less than a dollar worth of raises."

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Clawson, MI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Clawson, MI

I have been working at CVS Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with wonderful people. The customers were generally understanding of situations. My schedule and hours at work were reasonable and flexible.

Cons

I worked at CVS for over 5 years. During this period I was promoted twice - from Cashier to Photo Lab Supervisor, then to Shift Supervisor. With 5 years of annual raises and 2 promotional raises, I was still only making 90 cents more than what I started with.
    I was also very disappointed with the general work load for each employee. When I started at my store we had 16 employees (including management) and after 5 years of employment we had 7 employees doing the same work load.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better. They work hard.