CVS Health - It's been a good experience allowing me to gain knowledge, experience, and meet alot of interesting people. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CVS Health

"It's been a good experience allowing me to gain knowledge, experience, and meet alot of interesting people."

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B
Current Employee - Shift Supervisor B

Pros

In todays economy, just having a job is a good reason. The employee discount is nice for growing families, especially 30% off on cvs brand items. Many of the store managers are good to work for. Some of them respect their employees and work with them on scheduling, etc. Working in northeast Ohio, hourly people are part of ufcw local 880 union. Cvs pays for your benefits. (hourly people only). Basically, you can start as a part-time cashier and work your way up if you have the right management team that recognizes your hard work and dedication. I know one person who started as a part-time cashier, and worked their way up to store manager in 6 years with no other outside experience. Where I will stop with this is do not strive to go beyond lead pharmacy tech or shift supervisor B

Cons

CVS is starting to do whatever it takes to keep their shareholders happy. They have cut hours so bad that usually it is a manger, or supervisor, and a clerk only. They then expect you to wait on customers, front and face the store, run the vacuum, and whatever other projects the manger or district manager decide to throw in there. I work in an inner city store in a gang infested crime ridden area. Many of our customers are less than desirable, and only come in to steal. I have asked for a police officer to be posted in our store like sav-a-lot and giant eagle grocery stores have. I was told by a corporate employee that they are too expensive, and our store does not meet the criteria for any security whatsoever because "NO ONE HAS BEEN HURT IN THIS STORE YET". It seems that some of the older seasoned veteran managers that are making good money (in my opinion good money is 55,000. to 70,000 per year.) are the only ones that are still tolerating the situation and are able to handle the stress. Even those people are starting to get pushed out along with veteran pharmacists because it is cheaper to get young, inexperienced managers that they can pay 30,000 to 40,000 if they are lucky.(who can take care of a family on that now a days?) and young fresh graduate pharmacists who yes have the education, but not always the customer service skills, or any idea how to run a business. Why do you think there is a class action lawsuit out there right now filed by current and former assistant managers? CVS uses, abuses, and then loses their assistant managers and store managers. I was happy to see they eliminated alot of corporate positions last fall, including three area vice presidents who you know made well into six figures. I have one suggestion. Instead of giving all that money to extreme home makeover every week, maybe start looking into your own employees. With what most employees make, I'm sure many of them live in unsafe, near inhabitable homes and have children and spouses with disabilities that could use medical equipment, fully paid for college educations, prescriptions, etc.

Advice to Management

Start thinking of the grunts who are in the ditches everyday running these stores no matter what, and somehow making it work. Keep trimming from the top down. how many layers of management do we need. Beyond our immediate district managers, what do regional managers, area vice presidents, and so forth do to earn their high six figure incomes, company cars, cell phones, and laptops? Why do those positions get all those perks, but yet training store mangers and pharmacy trainers who are once again on the front lines trying to build the future of this company get nothing? One other suggestion, regional and area managers, stop announcing your visits to districts. When we know you are coming 2 weeks ahead of time, any manager can put in an extra 20 hours to make sure the store is perfect, and employees are ready to answer your questions. Start showing up unannounced, and see how these stores run in real time, the juggling to keep up store conditions, customer service, training, etc Putting some more hours back into the stores would help alot too..

Other Employee Reviews for CVS Health

"Completely disappointing. A house of cards built on lies, politics and deceit."

Pros

Beats unemployment. Beats rummaging around in trash cans at night for food. Beats being a meth dealer. Beats working at the sewerage plant.

Cons

P poor raises that in no way reflect your effort.
    P poor middle managers who micro manage everything down do product labels on a shelf to the color of your shoes.

Advice to Management

Worry about your customers and your employees not Wall St.
    Let your managers manager.
    Give them some
     hours to work with.

2. "A very exhilarating experience."

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

Pros

Job security, fast pace work style, the ability to learn more about the company and always fulfillment in making people stay healthy.

Cons

Sometimes low pay and unusual hours of work