Cadence Design Systems - Cadence was perhaps the least satisfying company I've worked for over the past 20 years. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cadence Design Systems

"Cadence was perhaps the least satisfying company I've worked for over the past 20 years."

Former Employee - Senior Member Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA
Former Employee - Senior Member Consulting Staff in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The coworkers were enjoyable and mostly good natured. The payscale was quite good even though there were frequently pay/hiring freezes and no bonuses.

Cons

As a very senior software engineer, we were supplied with very old, slow and inadequate computers and ancient code. Getting a second monitor was considered a luxury. There's an old-guard, don't change anything mentality where presenting new ideas many time is considered disruptive. Vacations/Shutdowns are strictly enforced during specific times of the year, and new employees were required to borrow against future years. Design/development process is rigid, non-agile and counter productive. Layers of specification approvals were required before any work or prototyping could begin. As a developer, the spec reviews were over attended, sometimes contentious and provided little assurance that you would be developing what was actually required since the attendees almost never came prepared (well, in the 6 years I was there I never had one where everyone who "just had to attend" was prepared).

Advice to Management

I've seen managers/department heads there who had never worked anywhere but Cadence. The couldn't relate to any development processes other than the ones that had been in place for 12-15 years. Sad really. No attempts at improving the build/test reliability or refactoring old code could gain any traction with this management. I've never worked anywhere before or since where I was assigned a bug backlog of over 1400 bugs assigned to me the day I joined and that was in addition to the new development tasks. Other group members had similar bug backlogs.

Other Employee Reviews for Cadence Design Systems

1. "Overall happy with company"

Former Employee - Associate Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Applications Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall great benefits however can could offer more stock options

Cons

buy-outs of other companies created culture problems

Advice to Management

Overall my experience was pleasurable

2. "The work comes in waves"

Current Employee - Application Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Application Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Isolating at times, foreign languages spoken

Advice to Management

More engagement with employees