Cadence Design Systems - Intern program could have been better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cadence Design Systems

"Intern program could have been better"

Former Intern - Automation Intern in San Jose, CA
Former Intern - Automation Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined here as an intern my manager was very friendly and let me work on different project.

Cons

Suddenly my manager was laid off and I was put under different manager, who showed less interest in assigning any work to me. I would find work for myself after talking to different people around.

Advice to Management

Have a good well organized program for interns.

Other Employee Reviews for Cadence Design Systems

"You make your own opportunities"

Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff
    Former Employee - Senior Member of Consulting Staff

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can build a global personal network based on the colleagues and customers you engage with. Doing solid work that solves real problems will get you noticed.

Most years, Cadence holds an internal technical conference that provides additional opportunities to burnish your reputation among peers. Not everyone gets to go, but those who do can use the event to launch collaboration across business units and geographic sites.

Most employees are happy with their local teams, and reserve their suspicion for other business units and senior management strategy.

Lots of former employees come back through acquisitions and direct recruiting. These are usually the senior contributors who figured out how to manage their career opportunities at Cadence.

Cons

Vacation benefits have been a disaster, unless you were senior enough to bank enough hours. Fortunately there has been some softening over the last year to move towards a more rational and employee-friendly policy.

Career advancement is pretty easy until you get to Member of Consulting Staff, beyond that you need to be seen working on customer engagements that management cares about. Higher level promotions are rare for the operations teams and software generalists.

Advice to Management

Long-term employees have seen just about every org-chart and management strategy several times. I know you are trying to optimize something that isn't working well, but realize that Cadence quit doing what you are advocating, at least once.

"Cadence not the same as it used to be ..."

Former Employee - Business Development in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Jose, CA

I worked at Cadence Design Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Used to be major EDA leader, currently a shadow of current leader, Synopysy.

Cons

Employees are not seen as a vital resource, just workers on a production line.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees as your most powerful resource.