California Hospital Association - Great benefits and salary, lousy place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for California Hospital Association

"Great benefits and salary, lousy place to work."

Former Employee - Worked In IT in Sacramento, CA
Former Employee - Worked In IT in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Salary is very high if you have an advanced degree, the work/life balance and the benefits are great.

Cons

Incompetent upper management in key areas, the only way to advance is to stay there a minimum of 10 years, long time employees that run the company are very set in their ways and not open to any new ideas whatsoever.

Advice to Management

Identify and listen to your star employees as they are the future of CHA.

Other Employee Reviews for California Hospital Association

"Unfortunately negatives outweigh positives"

I worked at California Hospital Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salaries and benefits. Some terrific, smart people work here.

Cons

I have worked with some great people, and too many less than great people. This is a highly political and hierarchical organization. Those at the top often make knee-jerk decisions that create havoc, simply because they have the power to do so. Senior management says it has an open-door policy, operates from place of integrity, and values its employees. True from a few, but not from those at the very top. Way too much like high-school. Old boys club is in operation here.

Advice to Management

Actions speak louder than words. Integrity and intelligent decisions matter. Yes, this is a fast-paced environment. But it need not be a pressure-cooker environment, which is what happens when a few at the top make poor decisions and staff at every level is expected to follow like lemmings lest they be exterminated.

"Learned a lot but was time to move on."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Pros

The group of people that I worked with was very helpful, team-oriented, thoughtful, and personable. I have heard many negative stories of other departments and people, so I was thankful for my department.

The company offers great benefits in regards to retirement planning and insurance. The CEO also encourages living a healthy lifestyle, so we had some perks (discounted gym membership, free Weight Watchers, monthly wellness stipend, health-related competitions, etc).

Cons

What I've experienced is that management might tell you that they really care and want you to grow. However, it's not always that way. I think it depends on who your boss is, but mine was 50/50.

It is a political organization.. I'm not proud to say that some people still have the high-school catty mentality, and I don't find it acceptable especially in a professional workplace. I value a workplace where colleagues uplift, not talk bad about, each other. A few managers/executives also exuded annoyance if they had to talk to someone that they considered to be lower than them.

Human resources seems to not take complaints seriously. If someone complains about mistreatment by a manager, HR might not do anything effective. However, this is what I've heard from coworkers.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation and respect for your staff.