California Pacific Medical Center - poor management | Glassdoor

"poor management"

Former Employee - Patient Financial Services Billing Clerk in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Patient Financial Services Billing Clerk in San Francisco, CA

Pros

the pay and benefits are great

Cons

management is unprofessional and vulgar, promotion is by who you know and popularity

Advice to Management

hold management accountable for their actions

Other Employee Reviews for California Pacific Medical Center

1. "CPMC - good place to work"

Pros

I can speak for the division I worked. It was great because of opportunities to learn, co-worker encouragement, co-worker attitudes towards a life-work balance, opportunities for advancement. The organization as a whole offers fantastic benefits and a good compensation package. There were always workshops to attend to add to one's knowledge. Patient safety is highly valued, from what I saw.

Cons

The actual manager of my division was on a strange power trip, and made a lot of decisions that seemed unwise and were totally out of touch with what her subordinates thought. However she didn't work there very long since I think she was eventually let go after I left. CPMC has an integral wellness center, but there are still many unhealthy things about the hospital - the cafeteria food was plain bad and artery clogging, cafeteria cleanliness seemed to be low priority, and the hospital doesn't even do basic recycling or other environmental practices. (Perhaps this has something to do with the unions there?) In the research division, all the studies were pharmaceutical company sponsored, but I wish there were more studies focused less on pharmaceuticals and more on overall treatment and overall patient wellness.

Advice to Management

Good job with providing opportunities to grow. Continue to hire and promote those who do the work not out of ego, but wisdom and integrity. Change the cafeteria food and some of the environmental practices like waste handling. They may seem trivial but these things are non-verbal symbols of your commitment to health and environmental health.

2. "CPMC is an awesome Employer"

Former Employee - Clinical Systems Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Systems Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Supportive Sr. Management. Employee friendly. Strives to improve employee's experience via annual employee and management survies. Management not only communicates the performance for their employees but seeks feedback on thier performance as well. Quarterly full day meetings are scheduled which are mandatory for all managers. The range of attendees are supervisors to the CIO. CPMC is an affiliate of SutterHealth whom also employs at employee friendly culture. Employees are very well respected and are encouraged to provide direct feedback to HR if there are any problems. I worked with CPMC for 7.5 years and was promoted on multiple occasions during my tenure.

I highly recommend CPMC!

Cons

If working with patients is your desire, and/or calling, then CPMC can be your place. The culture provides for a positive employee experience. The downside is that as new employees are hired in Sr. Management roles that uniqueness of the culture can be lost which can result in creating a challenging atmosphere.

Advice to Management

In addition to the manadatory Quarterly Meetings...mandatory training and/or classes specific to "How we work" or "Our code of Ethics at CPMC" should be provided for new employee's at a Sr. Management Level. Its very unfortunate to lose valuable resources who become discouraged by agressive and overly assertive new managers.