Employee Review

Former Employee, more than 1 year

Bad Work Enviroment

Dec 11, 2017 - Camp Counselor in Albuquerque, NM
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get to be around dogs all day

Cons

Managers did not care, over 50 dogs at one time on occasion, not a good screening program for dogs so some were very mean and hostile, Breaking up dog fights and not being allowed to get band-aids from where bleeding, On occasion no lunch break because understaffed.

1 person found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Dog day care

May 5, 2021 - Camp Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

People. People. People.peoole people people

Cons

Money money no money money no money

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Appears as a Dream Job and Company from the Outside Looking In, but....

Apr 20, 2021 - Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The individual contributors and managers of this organization are some of the most dedicated, passionate and creative team members that you will ever have the chance to work alongside. There's a fun and playful, yet dedicated working environment that makes it a great place to work - initially.

Cons

The leadership team isn't qualified enough to manage hourly employees at a Camp, let alone professional employees that are driven and want to succeed. The extreme pressure that the leadership team endures from the president to check off tasks by their committed deadlines of their lengthy project lists (which is disguised as a strategy), has created a culture that employees end up working far more than they should for the well below market value salary that is given. HR tries to keep the peace with all employees and doesn't know when to escalate the appropriate situations.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful

Camp Bow Wow Response

HR Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback about our Corporate Office culture. We are sorry to hear that you are frustrated. Aside from being an organization that focuses on Happy Healthy Pets, Happy Healthy People, we are first and foremost a franchising organization. We help small business owners open camps, and our main goal is to help them thrive and succeed as a business. We hear that you feel like we are trying to please the franchisees too much, but they are our customer, and we are here to help them succeed. We do have great associates, from the individual contributor level to the manager level and beyond. We are sorry to hear that you are not happy with our Leadership team, as we have implemented a lot of great items over these past couple of years to help all our associates grow and develop together. This includes focusing on engagement with a quarterly assessment, creating a professional development process, creating a performance management process, and having required training programs for all employees. We will continue to focus on these processes for all levels, especially for our leaders, to ensure they are growing and helping their teams succeed. The Leadership team, together with the President, decide on goals and strategy for the year; there is no single person deciding all the goals for their teams. We also offered that teams could deprioritize items, as we understand how priorities may change throughout the course of a year - especially as we are navigating out of a challenging 2020 which was unlike anything any of us have experienced before. If anyone feels like they need to reprioritize something to succeed, that person should work with their leader or reach out to myself in HR. We value all our associates, and, during a year where our camps and franchisees lost money, we were able to retain all corporate office associates and able to provide annual increases. Our president fought for this because of all the hard work that every associate has done, despite the difficult financial performance in 2020. We also conduct annual market studies to ensure that we are paying within market for all our positions. I understand that we are not always able to pay what larger companies do, but we have 95% our associates making above 50% of market for the industries of our size. We know that this has been a tough year. Fully remote working has helped us identify a lot of opportunities for us as an organization to create better processes and ensure that we are doing the best job in helping our employees thrive. As such, we are updating and changing processes that were not originally created to deal with an ever-changing work landscape. I apologize personally for how this has been perceived, and I will work on communicating processes more effectively. We also know that the pet industry is a blooming market, and our goal is to compete within this space and to grow and help our franchise owners thrive as well. Our franchise owners, once again, are our customer, and we are first and foremost a business focused on franchising. While we may not always agree on the strategy we have in place, this is where Camp Bow Wow is heading, and the goals we have in place are there to help us grow and succeed. We are excited about our future, and we hope that we can bring you on board. We also understand if our strategy and direction, especially franchisee support, does not align with your vision, and while we can disagree, we hope that you can find a place that can more directly align with your passions.

Discover more reviews about Camp Bow Wow.