Campbell Soup Company - Gallup is a joke & they promote incompetent and abusive bosses | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Campbell Soup Company

"Gallup is a joke & they promote incompetent and abusive bosses"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

Pros

The pay is excellent. There is now free soup on Fridays. Most employees really seem to be proud of the work they do and the food we make. Doug Conant is a great leader.

Cons

Most managers care only about getting Gallup scores up. It's impossible, not everything can be a "5" and employees are pushed with extra work in the form of Gallup teams to get scores up .2. The manager in our small department we liken to an abusive relationship. Nothing is good enough, but when she needs something or the rest of the company is watching, she has nothing but good things to say about us. I'm tire of the fakeness and hypocracy.

Advice to Management

Hire from the outside more. Get your technology up to speed. Scrap Gallup - it's a joke. Most people give 5 just to get their managers off their backs. There are fundamental reasons why I can't do my best work every day, and a Gallup committee of 3 assistants aren't going to be able to change that.

Other Employee Reviews for Campbell Soup Company

"Reality is quite shameful despite well-orchestrated "outward" messages"

Current Employee - Information Technology Management in Camden, NJ
    Current Employee - Information Technology Management in Camden, NJ

Pros

Most of the people in middle management and staff roles are outstanding resources and genuine people. Working for an icon brand looks good on a resume, but, as others have mentioned, the price is quite high.

Cons

Senior leadership is either completely out of touch with what really happens within working groups or they simply don't care. Expressing opinions, even when accurate and well-founded, will land you with a negative label. If you want to work here, it's best not to have an opinion and not to expect to be valued, despite the company's "Valuing People" campaign.

Advice to Management

Please wake up. Your employee satisfaction scores are not reliable because employees fear offering real opinions. With so many good products and an outstanding brand reputation, you'd do well to focus for awhile and what's really going on with the workforce. Many people are seriously unhappy but feel trapped into staying.

2. "Campbell Proud!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camden, NJ

Pros

The senior leadership of Campbell soup is outstanding. Doug Connant is a great leader before he is a great CEO. The culture of integrity and "Winning in the workplace" that has been created under the current leadership is palpable at all employee levels. Since 2001 Campbell Soup has fought hard to do right by its products, its people and its community. It is a wonderful feeling and a daily source of motivation to be proud of the company you work for.

This is a great place to work!

Cons

1. As with other organizations, some middle management at Campbell Soup apply a narrow focus to problem solving. We need holistic approaches to problem solving in order to innovate.

2. When I read the documentation for the review/evaluation process it is easy to tell how it fits into the culture of the Company. However, the annual and mid-term review process often feels like a bloated and cumbersome process. At best, it is difficult to apply to daily or even weekly activities.

3. Gallup survey: Some items in the survey such as "In the last seven days, I have received recognition or praise for doing good work" has a tendency to created phony or empty gestures from superiors. In addition, attempts at improving Gallup scores seem to be approached by simple mechanical processes that are applied to any group that has at least 5 supervised employees. From my perspective, some low scores are a result of variables from outside these smaller groups and can not be remedied at the lower levels

Advice to Management

Stay true to the priciples of sustainable growth.