Canfor - Canfor a good place to work for a while | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Canfor

"Canfor a good place to work for a while"

Current Employee - Lumber Grader in Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Lumber Grader in Fort Saint John, BC (Canada)

Pros

You get to work in a relatively warm environment with new technologies in the sawmilling realm. The first jobs you get are menial, dirty and back breaking, usually on a night shift which are hell on your body and mind, eventually you can begin to tolerate it. The light at the end of the tunnel is bidding off cleanup and getting on the line where you can make good coin. Normal operations you get 1 hr OT a day or 10 per check which adds up real fast. Boring but rewarding work when you break a production record. Also most of the managers are pretty good guys and are flexible.

Cons

Personally the shift work is the best and worst thing about working at Canfor. Some guys love working the afternoon shift so they can run around in the morning and get stuff done around town, banking, shopping, minding the kids while the wife is at work. Most however just tolerate it and look at the paycheck. The changing from nightshift to dayshift every 2 weeks takes a toll on your body and sleep is sometimes at a premium, especially in the summer when you're trying to sleep through the hottest part of the day. Also missing evenings for me when I want to go out with my buddies or play in my sports leagues.

Advice to Management

Right now the lumber industry is in the doldrums and I am just happy to be in mill where our financial standing is better than a lot of other mills. If I was to suggest something to Senior Management it is that more communication about or present financials be filtered down to the hourly workers and let us know further in advance of any layoffs or shutdowns so people can prepare themselves and plan their lives accordingly.

Other Employee Reviews for Canfor

1. "The grass IS greener on the other side"

Current Employee - Instrumentation Technician in Prince George, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Instrumentation Technician in Prince George, BC (Canada)

Pros

stable employment in a great area, many community programs for families in sports, recreation, schooling, etc.
    Company gives at least a moderate effort to ensure safe working conditions for employees

Cons

lack of appreciation for any extra done by hourly workers, a lack of common sense in hiring of staff and management with a total disregard for hourly workers that seek such positions

Advice to Management

open up opportunities for workers to advance professionally and regularly discuss growth and career direction

2. "Overall a good place to work but still room for improvement."

Current Employee - Millwright in Jackson, AL
    Current Employee - Millwright in Jackson, AL

I have been working at Canfor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good clean mill with fairly new equipment. Knowledgeable team with a lot of experience between us.

Cons

Management does not share ideas or goals with production team or maintenance team. We are basically left in the dark until the "time comes". Little to no advance warning for large projects and horrible inventory management with parts and supplies.

Advice to Management

Revamp the inventory and catalog it in some fashion. Indrucing SAP and fully intgrading it into the PO and work order center corroborating to the inventory would be so much better.
    Share plans and details of project with the maintenance team better. Hold meetings pertaining to the reliability and performance of machines and express expectations.