Canon USA - Learning but not coached | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Canon USA

"Learning but not coached"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lake Success, NY
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lake Success, NY

Pros

- Nice people with decent brand recognition.
- Good cafeteria with Japanese food and sushi bar.
- Middle managers try hard to change traditional thinking.

Cons

The technology is falling behind with commodity technologies such as printers and cameras. The Medical division is barely breathing. They have zero interest in innovation and leap frog technology development. HR is a joke and I feel like we are stuck in the 50's with our "old school" thinking. We don't know how to spell "recruiting" since HR doesn't comprehend the difference between hiring and recruiting. Low, low, low glass ceiling for non-Japanese. Low pay and no career path.

Advice to Management

Paradigm shift in HR is required. Tons of opportunities for improvement.

Other Employee Reviews for Canon USA

"It was a learning experience."

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Lake Success, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Lake Success, NY

Pros

It feels good to work at a well-known company. Canon is a very popular brand and people automatically assume you're in pretty good position if you tell them you work at Canon.

Most of the senior managers are pretty competent and easy-going. My senior manager was very good. She was a good listener and very open to the ideas of her employees.

Cons

I had a poor middle manager. That was the main reason for my leaving the company. My middle manager was very inconsistent and seemed to worry most about her own job appraisal more than anything else.

A lot of the people there also did not know anything about cameras or photography, which was kind of surprising. I guess that doesn't matter if they are good at their job.

The senior management is also comprised of 99% Japanese or Caucasian males, meaning the corporate culture is kind of stuck in the 1950s.

Advice to Management

Don't let people who can't manage become managers. Don't be so conservative or you will eventually fall behind. Most of all, don't dismiss the ideas of your employees just because you have more experience or authority.

2. "Good place to learn, but too low a ceiling to stay for long."

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Lake Success, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Lake Success, NY

Pros

- Access to learning opportunities through online corporate academy
    - Good place for the detail-oriented individual or marketer just starting out
    - Easily recognizable brand
    - Lower-than-industry salary compensated by higher-than-industry paid time off (it just doesn't roll over)
    - New facilities coming in 2013 promise good things

Cons

- Low salary and ceiling for advancement
    - Required non-compete contract prohibits you from working in the US for 1 year for a competitor following termination or dismissal
    - Inefficient and inflexible corporate structure
    - Rotational benefit for Japanese expats not extended to non-Japanese; something that could breathe some innovation into the entire organization at every level and functional area.
    - New facilities will be too far away from NYC to attract and retain talent

Advice to Management

Please don't accept the status quo if you see that it is no longer relevant or working for your products or target market. Employees and leadership should be allowed to manage upward as well as they manage downward.