Canton-Potsdam Hospital - Awesome in some ways but terrible in others | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Canton-Potsdam Hospital

"Awesome in some ways but terrible in others"

Current Employee - Technologist
Current Employee - Technologist

Pros

My boss is awesome
Can take time off when needed
Flexible
Great equipment

Cons

The people that run the hospital make ill informed decisions and don't listen to reason. They don't follow the principles of common sense and don't listen to the people that do the real work.

Other Employee Reviews for Canton-Potsdam Hospital

"Hecktick, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Lower Management in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Lower Management in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Canton-Potsdam Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities, a lot of smiling faces, successful company. Tools and systems are well kept and maintained. Management is actually trying to be better every year. Supporting community needs and helping people.

Cons

Too often we see decisions made with not enough planning, and many changes appear to be done hastily with unnecessary urgency. Very high tempo, which sometimes does not leave enough room for excellence.

Advice to Management

Better planning. PM office.

2. "Population Health"

I worked at Canton-Potsdam Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package. Good workplace wellness initiative with nice incentives.

Cons

In a large organization such as this, nothing is personal. As an employee there, you are just a number and subject to just a policy. The administration is a nightmare. They implement half though through plans without consulting the people who work in those areas and then never even finish the plan. Nothing ever gets done because senior leadership is too self involved in a constant power struggle that involves with holding information and shutting down communication. The only employees that are treated well are the providers. The hospital insists on running with inadequate staffing and the poor nurses are at their wits end. Ultimately it is the patients who suffer from the poor leadership. In my role I had no autonomy and my ability to do my job was significantly impeded by constant unecessary interference by my VP who felt the need to have one finger on the steering wheel but no desire to drive.

Advice to Management

The more you care about your staff and give them the tools they need to do their jobs happily and successfully, the better patient outcomes will be, bettering quality of care and cash flow.
    Communication should be open between leadership and employees. You are not royalty and it is disrespectful to treat anyone other than a provider or other senior leader as not important to you.