Canton-Potsdam Hospital - Awesome in some ways but terrible in others | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Canton-Potsdam Hospital

"Awesome in some ways but terrible in others"

Current Employee - Technologist
Current Employee - Technologist

Pros

My boss is awesome
Can take time off when needed
Flexible
Great equipment

Cons

The people that run the hospital make ill informed decisions and don't listen to reason. They don't follow the principles of common sense and don't listen to the people that do the real work.

Other Employee Reviews for Canton-Potsdam Hospital

"Hecktick, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Lower Management in Potsdam, NY
    Current Employee - Lower Management in Potsdam, NY

I have been working at Canton-Potsdam Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities, a lot of smiling faces, successful company. Tools and systems are well kept and maintained. Management is actually trying to be better every year. Supporting community needs and helping people.

Cons

Too often we see decisions made with not enough planning, and many changes appear to be done hastily with unnecessary urgency. Very high tempo, which sometimes does not leave enough room for excellence.

Advice to Management

Better planning. PM office.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Potsdam, NY
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Potsdam, NY

I worked at Canton-Potsdam Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Financial stability. Pay is okay for the area.

Cons

There's this common theme in the nursing profession, and if dates far back into history. Nurses have always been expected to go above and beyond for their employers. In fact, to be viewed as a "medium performer" you have to do things that aren't listed in your job description. CPH continues this tradition of treating nurses poorly. Everything they do just screams, "be thankful you have a job." This seeps down from management, to the nurses. Management truly doesn't keep the patients in mind. I have seen the laziest nurses be given awards. Literally an award given to nurses who lack technical abilities, are lazy, and eat the newer nurses. There a lot of talk about, "these young nurses don't have a good work ethic." The people saying these things constantly leave work to be done, leave meds for the next shift, and don't chart properly. Then they earn an award. Ther is something to be said for being in the nursing profession for 30 years. However, that shouldn't mean that you don't have to do the same amount of work as someone who's been doing it for 10 or fewer years. The allowable level of backbiting is amazing. For example - people have been reprimanded for Posting on Facebook, "Busy night at work. Why doesn't management realize we need more staff!" Mind you these posts were done not during the work shift. What right does management have to do this? When I left they wanted to do an exit interview. It was a total sham because the only question asked was, "Why are you leaving?" It was because I was moving. When I tried to elaborate the person conducting the exit interview said, "thanks that's enough." They didn't listen to me say I was moving because I didn't want to work at CPH any more. The North Country has limited employment opportunities and the thought of being stuck at CPH for life drove me out of the area. In the past 5-6 years all of the good staff has scattered.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your employees like they're lucky to be there. Recognize that you are lucky to have them. Mimic what other places with low turnover do. Appreciate all of your staff. Not just the people you like.