Capital Gazette Communications - A great place to teach yourself | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Capital Gazette Communications

"A great place to teach yourself"

Former Employee - Production Artist in Annapolis, MD
Former Employee - Production Artist in Annapolis, MD

Pros

When I was there, it really was a family atmosphere. Lots of married couples, siblings and lifers. It was very supportive emotionally. It also gave me the opportunity to cut my teeth in a fast-pased, deadline driven environment, while working with lots of different advertisers.

Cons

I felt that there was so much more potential for the department. Training was virtually nil, and it became apparent over the course of several years that employee development in the Production Department was not a priority. Cutting costs was the priority. Turnover was high, and each new crop was paid about as little as possible, so the quality of recruits diminished considerably over time. That ends up giving everyone more work to do, because sales reps and advertisers weren't as happy with the work.

Advice to Management

I'm pretty sure the advertising management is completely changed since I was there. However, I doubt little of the culture of "just get it done, with as few resources as possible" has changed. It could be a fantastic training ground for young designers, but it isn't without some investment, mostly in time & training.

Other Employee Reviews for Capital Gazette Communications

1. "Great Place to Work"

Pros

Tremendous Brand, Dedicated staff, involved in all communities events, state of the art technology. Your voice is heard and everyone is accountable for there day to day activities.

Cons

slow to respond. Customer service is outsourced, and it takes a long time to get in touch with rep. Business is in transition so it is an environment of continual change.

Advice to Management

Provide more support, make sure that your costumers come first. Determine who you want to be. Improve customer service.

2. "Columnist"

Former Employee - Columnist
    Former Employee - Columnist

Pros

Editors are helpful. I was allowed complete control over my content

Cons

Salary was low. But they pay for photos.