Capital One - Pros and cons | Glassdoor

"Pros and cons"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA

Pros

Good work life balance, a management that strives to be fair and works hard to "develop" their people.
Office politics are few and far between. The company values diversity

Cons

The culture is very "results oriented", which in most cases transforms to pure luck, particularly if you are an analyst, senior analyst, manager or senior manager and can't chose your projects, resources or departments.

Advice to Management

Improve pay.
Stop talking so much about development and feedback when a large function of what you hear back is a function of luck - market conditions and the projects you get put on.

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One

"Good, but not the best."

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Richmond, VA

Pros

It was the only offer that I got right after college. That's the best reason for me. Another good reason is they only care about your ability to get the work done. Working hours are very flexible. I like this a lot because I am not an early person. The work environment is great. Everyone is so friendly. There is no competition or politics. There is only cooperation.

Cons

Salary is relatively low compares to other finance positions. But in a job market like this. I should feel lucky to find a job at all. Also potential career advancement within the company seems to be very limited.

Advice to Management

Raise my salary? I can imagine everyone in this company is looking for openings at other companies.

"When Nigel Left, It all Went To Hell"

Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Richmond, VA

Pros

They are pretty much the only game in town if you want decent pay.

Cons

The amount of politics and inter-departmental backstabbing is worse than any company I have ever worked. We hired a bunch of DC (Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac) sharks who thrive on stamping out new ideas and replacing them with bean counters and yes-men. The women executives organized their own lobbying group to put more of their own into key positions, as did the GLT (Gay, Lesbian, and Transgendered). It's just gotten ridiculously out of control. It is 'Dilbert' on a gigantic scale, and no one has the courage to change it. Those who have tried, mysteriously end up 'redeployed' (code word for fired).

Advice to Management

Our published values are to 'Do the right thing' yet our actions don't reflect it. With no big monster to fight (like a declaration of war on the competition) the warriors have gone about fighting each other.