Capital One - Typical Bank | Glassdoor

"Typical Bank"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Pros

People are great to work with.

Cons

Compensation isn't the best. Not the most organized company.

Advice to Management

Large company, management isn't aware of a lot of things that are going on. Don't necessarily pay attention to detail.

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One

1. "Great colleagues, stimulating work, and professional growth -- yet not-so-great career growth"

Current Employee - Business Director in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Business Director in McLean, VA

Pros

- Very smart colleagues
    - Great learning / professional growth opportunities
    - Good support of work-life balance / family
    - Teamwork oriented culture
    - Rigorous, data-driven approach to business
    - Bold strategic vision

Cons

- Highly inconsistent performance management / promotions
    - Limited career growth
    - People not consistently held accountable for, or rewarded for, results
    - Nonhierarchical culture in principle not always so in practice
    - Inconsistent leveling of new vs. existing hires
    - Consensus-based culture sometimes at odds with innovation & rapid decision making

Advice to Management

Capital One is structurally well positioned to grow and become a leader in consumer financial services. The talent bar is also very high, yet within a fairly collegial, supportive culture. Biggest opportunity is to ensure that inefficient/unnecessary processes don't stand in the way of greatness and innovation.

"An eye-opening experiencing to how a different company operates"

Current Employee - Senior Associate, Digital in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate, Digital in Richmond, VA

Pros

Amazing employee benefits and resources. Well-communicated agenda and ambitious outlook that is infectious.

Cons

A very process-bloated organization. An elaborate network of people/processes/initiatives that they think 'ensures' high quality results (speaking from the Digital side). Being a (primarily) credit-card oriented company, the work pipeline is looked at from a capacity/operational perspective and cannot be tied directly to revenue. I come from an IT/Software vendor where work was done right the first time, and FAST - because it was tied directly to revenue.

The meeting culture here is bizarre. My previous company had a high ratio of remote workers, so we EFFECTIVELY used email and stuck to conference calls to get decisions moving. Here, half the people in my meetings aren't paying attention and busy instant messaging about something else. The meetings end up with little to no headway and always include the words, "it sounds like we need to have more conversations about...". I'm not exaggerating. The worst part is that these people can't be in my meetings because they're double booked in someone else's. All the while, mine was TRULY more important to the organization than the one they attended. So, two meetings are shot while one of them could've been dealt with via email in a smart manner. Every time I craft comprehensive well-written emails, people want to set up a meeting to discuss because they don't want to take the time to read it and think it through. These are all smart people working here. They are all brainwashed into this ADD pace of perpetual confusion.

Advice to Management

Your biggest problems can be solved by the most mundane and simple things. Communication. It takes a top-down change in the culture. Ironically, instant messaging is hurting your company. Half-baked decisions without the right people are happening through IM. I've done it - I've seen it. The saddest thing of all, is that it's done in an IM conversation during someone else's meeting; so two decisions are being jeopardized. This should be simple: Email = decisions based on information provided; Phone call = What-if and longer trade-off talks. In-person meetings steal time away from you with the physical movement between rooms/buildings .

If you want your 'speed to delivery' dream to become a reality, stick to basics and make SOMETHING happen. I have, personally, watched the most important initiatives get side-tracked because of territorial infighting and ego-driven pride.