Capital One - Very smart people, very well run company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

"Very smart people, very well run company"

Former Employee - Analyst in Plano, TX
Former Employee - Analyst in Plano, TX

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Capital One analysts are exceptionally bright. Their management philosophy is at the leading edge . Very enjoyable place to work.

Cons

The downside of working at Capital One is that you're competing for positions with some exceptionally bright people. So, opportunities for growth are limited compared to with other companies.

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One

"Ok company to work for. Lots of analysis - few decisions"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Capital One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Analytical, lots of smart people

Cons

Not good at getting things done quickly

Advice to Management

Find a better balance between analyzing things to death and getting actual things achieved

"Worst company I have ever worked for."

Former Employee - Relationship Banker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker in New York, NY

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are excellent and most managers will work to accommodate your schedule. I have heard of horror stories with other managers telling part-timers that if they didn't drop out of school and go full time, they would be "let go."

Cons

They treat you like a dog. They figure that since they pay you your salary they can abuse you in any way, shape or form. They stress building a book of business and following up with your pipeline contacts but all of that is thrown in the garbage when they force you to jump around branches last minute and miss scheduled customer appointments you have setup. Then they ask you why you're having trouble meeting your numbers.
    There is very slow growth within the company. Management doesn't want to promote employees if they're already doing well in their current positions since it's hard to find quality bankers. At the same time if you're not doing well you can forget about working the ranks.
    The district manager ignores exaggerated and inflated daily branch results just to make herself look better. The DM's also ignore the fact that there are many managers who discriminate against customers. I've worked with some racist managers who would purposely give a hard time to certain ethnic groups for no apparent reason and when I would step in and say it's not right what they're doing, I got the cold shoulder and they would give me a hard time from that point on. I wouldn't be surprised if the ACLU investigates them in the near future.
    You can be as loyal as you want to this company but you will never see the opposite. Employees get laid-off without just cause and the turnover rates are ridiculously high.
    These are just a few of the cons i've experienced working at Capital One.

Advice to Management

Understand who your employees are by their strengths and not just job their titles. The biggest mistake you could have made was to fire the ABM's and keep all of the managers. Many of the latter don't belong in those positions, they're old fashioned and you can forget about company growth.