Capital One - Smart people, fast-paced, good culture, but edging toward overworking folks. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

"Smart people, fast-paced, good culture, but edging toward overworking folks."

Former Employee - Senior Communications Manager in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - Senior Communications Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really smart people, great culture, great strategy, CEO is a good person, all in all, a really good place to work.

Cons

Due to several acquisitions and an inability to prioritize by the senior managers, the non-senior management associates are getting worked too hard.

Advice to Management

You already have smart people who work hard and want to succeed and want the company to succeed. Learn to prioritize what you want the company to do. You are burning your people out.

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One

1. "Healthy company core, still experiencing the growing pains of rapid expansion."

Current Employee - Credit in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Credit in Plano, TX

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong benefits. Generally friendly people. Excellent facilities. Strong company with aggressive and attainable goals

Cons

Ratings/bonuses and opportunities tied to performance too reliant on manager persuading other managers to put their worker ahead of their workers. Time squeeze on several managers; tied to work from home.

"Extremely political environment."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, willing to invest in order to grow.

Cons

There is a huge gulf between what Leadership says and what actually happens in the company. Leadership messaging is all too often directly contradicted by line managers. Rewards are based on each manager's individual goals, so leadership vision has no bearing on their priorities. Conflicts abound, and the people that come out ahead tend to be the ones that have the biggest 'win at all costs' outlook, and are willing to circumvent policies and procedures in order to do it. Easily the most political environment I have ever worked in.

Advice to Management

Capital One needs to grow up. This is no longer a small start up company, it is now one of the biggest banks in the US and needs to start acting like it. In the regulatory environment we are in, we can no longer afford to blindly believe we are different, and that the normal rules do not apply to us. They do. And we have a rude awakening coming if we do not accept that.