Capital One - Long hours low pay. Overwhelming amount or work in relation to staff level | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

"Long hours low pay. Overwhelming amount or work in relation to staff level"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Wilmington, DE
Former Employee - Project Manager in Wilmington, DE

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room for advancement if you can put in the hours

Cons

The hours needed to put in are enormous to get work done and the pay is not equal to the work

Advice to Management

Hire more people

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One

1. "Great company."

Current Employee - Director in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented group of people. Company strategy and senior leadership has been spot on. Excellent career development with opportunities to rotate. Company invests in associates, and there's good work/life balance.

Cons

Performance management system is overwrought and time consuming. At it's worst can contribute to decision paralysis and discourage innovation.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Join the company, benefit from training but don't stay too long"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Capital One is a good employer, the pay and benefits are good, the business training is solid and executive communications are beneficial. The people are young and smart and I have made wonderful friendships during my 12 1/2 year tenure. I have worked in diverse areas such as the functional areas of HR and Finance and US Card and the Bank in various positions. It was easy to move around until the past few years when the company became flatter (limited promotions) and horizontal mobility was determined to be a business risk requiring at least 12 months tenure in a position. Potential candidates should consider their postings, as they may be enjoying the role for a long time.

Flexibility is a big benefit as it is the culture to work wherever you are, from home, from the office, from the cafeteria, from Panera. Hours can be flexed as well to suit a work/life balance. Get to work early, as sometimes it is difficult to get a seat near business partners, as work tables fill up fast in the morning unless your department has assigned seating.

Cons

This is a company that recruits the same type of people - young, smart, analytical, results driven and integrated thinkers, managed by the tests that candidates must pass to get to the interview. Sometimes diversity of opinion is not valued and there is pressure to succumb to popular opinion.

The burnout factor is high, as the annual performance management process is highly competitive. It's hard to have a family with after hours activities and remain competitive from a performance standpoint with those that are young and career-focused 24/7. (I'm not saying that there is age discrimination but my situation was curious. A few months before I turned 50 I was redeployed and my role was given to a younger male with less experience, even though my end of year rating was in the top 10%. My attorney commented that this is a common practice for the company but the way that Capital One redeploys in small batches and since that statute of limitations is short, it's difficult to prove illegal practices.)

The company reorganizes frequently and I have been redeployed three times, two of which I stuck around and found an internal role but the third time I took a package. There is a glass ceiling and career progression can be limited to the selection of assignments received.

Advice to Management

Thanks for the memories. Time to move on.....