Capital One - Capital One is a great company to work for! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

"Capital One is a great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Associate in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Associate in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People that work here are smart and like their jobs. Very collaborative environment. Easy to manage work/life balance with flexible schedule and ability to work at home.

Cons

Company doesn't really value "ground up experience." After reaching the Associate/Sr. Associate level, a lot of people leave Capital One to work someone else for a year and then come back to make $20-30k more a year.

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One

"Be Warned - If You Don't Play the Game, You Will Get Booted Out!"

Former Employee - Senior Process Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Process Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and nice perks at West Creek - that's about all I can say...

Cons

(1) Raises, bonuses, and promotions are based on how others view you instead of the quality of the work that you do - if you are a good "politician", then you will excel here. This leads to people being promoted into people management positions that have no idea what it takes to really manage people. Rewarding people who do nothing but socialize with higher ups is not the way to run an organization.
    (2) Very stressful environment where backstabbing and politics are common - I was placed on a PIP because I asked to change managers and the PIP contained untrue information about my work performance. After my PIP was completed and I did everything I was told to do, I was told that I didn't meet expectations and let go - with a huge severance and the option for re-hire. This is due to the fact that they knew I could sue them for gender discrimination and disability discrimination (I ended up having to go on stress medication due to the bullying I endured at Capital One). Severance letter released me from being able to file legal action. In my entire career, I have had better than satisfactory performance reviews and have been promoted over and over again - I have never been written up for performance in my entire life until now. They have trashed my reputation and my career.
    (3) This company has a known reputation for being a horrible place to work. When I mentioned my experience to people who don't work at Capital One (such as my doctor), their reply is always that they have heard this happening several times with other people.

Advice to Management

Wake up! You can't run an organization based on popularity versus actual work performance. I had a manager actually tell me "I can make sure you end up in the bottom 20% in calibrations (performance reviews) and ruin your brand in the organization." Another manager told me that calibrations were based on "20% work performance and 80% of how others perceive you." And you wonder why people are running away in droves? These are your managers talking here...Get some managers in there with actual management experience that know how to lead a team effectively!

2. "Great Work Environment."

I have been working at Capital One full-time

Pros

Good to work if you have a great team to spend your time in the branches

Cons

not really anything wrong. you get what you should expect