Capital One - Awesome place to grow your career, especially for newbies | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Capital One

"Awesome place to grow your career, especially for newbies"

Current Employee - Principal Data Analyst in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Principal Data Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by amazing people, and the energy is infectious. You can came a long way very quickly as a new hire, especially because of the Analyst Development Program trainings and networking opportunities.

There is a formal review process, so if you are good, you can move up quickly. I increased my salary by 50% in 2.5 years due to generous raises and fast promotions. Capital One is a feedback culture, so you can always learn how to improve. You can tell your boss candid ways for him to improve as well (and he actually acts upon it).

Every day is different. You can keep pushing yourself to learn more, and it's relatively easy to change roles if you find something more aligned with your interests.

The CEO makes it a point to talk to the entire company once a year, even though it requires him renting out huge theaters all across the country and spending several days repeating the same speech. Capital One also has the most ethical practices in the credit-card industry (i.e., we don't want to make money by tricking people into fees), and they are always pushing to get better.

Cons

Job roles can be siloed. Data analysts can code without knowing the business context, and business analyst can try to do their jobs without having a grasp of coding. That said, if you are motivated, you can switch between teams / job roles here easily, or expand on your current responsibilities.

You will work with many people from the HSBC acquisition who aren't the same caliber of talent / motivation

If you live in Northern Virginia, you are sometimes the only person in your office working on a project with 10 people from Richmond. Get used to the phone and / or the company shuttle.

Advice to Management

Keep embracing the "Change Banking for Good" mission. It definitely makes sense when we can waive fees, etc., in certain situations for a better customer experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One

1. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of lateral movement within the company and tons of opportunity for promotion.

Cons

Limited locations in the retail banking department in comparison with national banks like Wells Fargo.

"Capital One is a "Monet" - pretty from a distance, a big mess up close"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance - associates are allowed to work from home when needed (at "manager's discretion" of course; if your manager's a jerk, good luck). Capital One also pays fairly well and encourages associates to volunteer regularly.

I think your experience at this company really depends on your role and the organization you report into. It only takes one senior leader to make your department miserable. I switched departments a few years ago and was relatively happy before. But not now!

Cons

The company is unstable, quietly laying off over 700 associates last October; this is the third round of layoffs since I began work there in 2010. Attrition has been extremely high at the Sr. Leadership level; over half of the CEO's direct reports are new to the company within the last few years. Of course any turnover is always followed by the "everything's fine" email or meeting.

The health benefits are also horrible. Extremely high (over $1k a month for a family) monthly premiums, PLUS a deductible, PLUS 20% coinsurance. And that's their best plan! Anyone with ongoing medical problems knows that's completely unaffordable.

The performance management system is garbage too, forcing associates into "distribution buckets" (you could be an awesome worker, but if they need someone to go into the "inconsistent" bucket, it could be you!).

Capital One preaches diversity of thought and it's always about "the associates" in the annual strategy meetings, but it's all a bunch of b.s. The dumb ones just eat it up, though! For the record, I'm super low on the totem pole. I've always been rated a v. strong or strong and have no issues with my manager. I'm just not stupid, I see the writing between the lines and I don't feed into the crap that others do.

If you don't work in Richmond (their biggest campus) you miss out on 90% of the "perks" that make this company one of "Fortune 100's Best Companies to Work For".

Advice to Management

Fight for your TEAMS and quit trying to advance your personal career. Give your associates raises when they're due and cultivate the growth of your team.