Capital One - IT Manager | Glassdoor

"IT Manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager
Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management support across all towers, good work life balance, since insourcing has begun it is getting better and better as more resources are brought internally.

Cons

High expectations, if that can be a con but I guess the largest challenge has been learning the internal flow if things but not too rough if you take good notes of your resources you will be just fine.

Advice to Management

In my tower I am quite happy with my management I think if I had to make a suggestion I would say "your remote workers are a great cost savings and happy to please workforce that tend to work longer hours without complaint and from my little place in the world it is a great system with plenty of room to expand".

Other Employee Reviews for Capital One

"Good Company for the Right Fit"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Richmond, VA

I worked at Capital One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company for recent grads that network well. This is a very promising opportunity for individuals with a strong Capital One centric network before joining the company.

Cons

(Richmond Campus) Company creates an extremely cut throat environment that favors cookie cutter behavior. Capital One definitely favors individuals in their 20’s that can be groomed to fit their corporate behavior. Unfortunately Capital One favors and promotes individuals based on relationships (i.e. family members, church members, close friends) with established Associates. Also there are frequent shifts in management (new Manager approximately every 6 months to a year). Capital One is a very different company since its early innovative years, but still successful.

Advice to Management

Consider rewarding behaviors that facilitate team development and honest insight. Also some solutions aren't a quick fix. Give people managers longer time with one team and allow the tools to help them focus on managing those employees.

"decent pay but frustrating work experience"

Current Employee - Do Not Want to Share in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Do Not Want to Share in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Capital One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Capital One is a decent paymaster

Cons

The organizations is constantly going through change. It does not let people settle down or establish long term career development goals. There are just too many people doing small components of the work, with very few understanding the end to end picture or the overall issues. It can easily downsize to 1/3 of their size if they operate in a logical, structured manner.

Advice to Management

Get rid of 50% of the management team. Get in a team that will tie all the different components together and provide one view to the client/customer. Things are in a mess and people are confused about what they are doing.