KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Employee, more than 5 years

Customer focus, constant change

Oct 15, 2021 - Senior Manager, Product Manager in Plano, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

True customer focus through all levels of management. Everyone is collaborating with the customers' best interests at heart. As a product manager I got to partner with designers, business analysts, data engineers, and of course my tech teams of 4-7 software engineers. Auto loans is organized into "experiences," each focused on a different phase of the customer's journey, and product managers get a high level of autonomy to develop new features and improve processes. My projects were engaging. People across job families were engaged in their work, smart, collaborative, and really nice. Also we're a good mix of a tech company and a bank: product and technology are at the focus of the company, but you still get banking holidays and log out at 5pm every day. I was in auto loans in the Plano campus.

Cons

There is a high level of change: I had 5 managers in the last 12 months. That's higher than average, but everyone seems to change managers at least once a year if not twice; either because the manager gets moved to a different team or because you do. My projects tended to get changed frequently as well: partway through a project, leadership would change the objective and ask us to focus on a different goal, abruptly stopping a 6- or 12-month project halfway through without us delivering anything. That happened enough to my projects and other product managers' to become a pattern. This all combines to a frustrating level of change when you have really interesting projects and would love to get them out to customers. My advice would be to start coding an MVP as quickly as possible so you can at least deliver something before priorities shift.

5 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Good work life balance

Nov 26, 2021 - Software Engineering Intern in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance team work AWS infra

Cons

Large teams if you like that then it is good. I loved large teams

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great Management

Nov 25, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Management at every level

Cons

The job wasn't for me

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Capital One.