CarMax - Company has gone from low risk high reward to high risk moderate reward. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

"Company has gone from low risk high reward to high risk moderate reward."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have always enjoyed a fun Football locker room type atmosphere. Mainly male associates so during our down time we tend to hang out as opposed to always having something to do all the time. At one time you could also make a decent income without having to work everyday. There are many more freedoms allowed in this position than most of your average " jobs."

Cons

The company has taken a downward turn ever since economy problems in 2008. They have raise prices of vehicles while lowering appraisals. This has created a much tougher sales environment I once felt good about selling a car no haggle, now I feel like I am ripping people off sometimes just because they fail to do research. Corporate has created more and more training initiatives to offset a more expensive and in my opinion a less quality product. The sales management staff is unfortunately relegated to being " yes " men and they feed us whatever info corporate wants out and spin it in a manner to make it seem like a positive when it is usually a new way to have us do more work for less or a new way to save the company money while we make less.

Advice to Management

I may sound bitter but it is because I am. This was once a company that had much promise that I felt good about going to each day with my head up and with the potential to make a decent living. Now due to excessive redundant UNPAID training sessions combined with less earnings due to overpricing, I feel sales consultants are taken advantage of an are told " it's retail" as a rational reason for why we have to take all the new initiatives.

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

"Don't Work Here"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CarMax part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The sales team is friendly. Basic respect amongst co-workers. Not many pros anymore.

Cons

Micro-managed, over-trained, oppressed. Sales Consultants income cut in half in the last six months due to daily mandatory trainings you are not paid for, nor are needed. Trainings go on for hours and and are basic, boring, and rudimentary. Perhaps, a new sales associate, who is also new to sales, could learn from them but most are offended.

Advice to Management

Get Austin Ligon back. Go back to the old sales process. Let your associates breathe.

"Extreme Micro-Management and Favoritism"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, casual work environment. Honest business practices/ethics with regard to customer treatment. Solid sales process allows efficient workflow and minimizes costly error. Training provided is useful for new personnel with no prior sales experience.

Cons

Extreme top-down micromanagement focusing on irrelevent and incorrectly compiled performance metrics, over real-world skill and success. Situationally applied disciplinary rules and iconsistant ethics based on favoritism, sexism, ageism, and individuals involved. Store level management is largely inexperienced in car sales, and/or retail in general, therefor incompetant when coaching and assisting experienced sales professionals, handling difficult customer scenarios, dynamically managing personnel head-count to match customer traffic, and generally incapable of performing basic sales/purchase functions required by all subordinate Sales Consultants. Training cirriculum is script-based and elementary at best, geared to creating mindless clerks, not creative, professional, sales consultants. So-called 'open door' policy that guarantees anonymity of employees who file formal complaints against management's violations of company policy and stated code of business conduct is, in reality, completely false and consistantly results in retalliation, including termination. Huge lack of trust between consultants and sales managers, between managers themselves, and between department leaders, creating unnecessary hostility and general stress. Sales Consultants are graded in large part by customer survey statistics that include metrics that are beyond the control of consultants themselves, eg: wait time, pricing comparison, vehicle quality, etc. General Managers and Regional Directors emphasise creating a perception of success, at the expense of actual success, for the sake of the stockholders, whose concerns and interests clearly take priority over those of employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Stop lying.