CarMax - 1st 6 months | Glassdoor

"1st 6 months"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oxnard, CA
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Oxnard, CA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seemingly well organized. Management invests a great amount of time and effort screening possible candidates resulting in lower turnover. Being successful (selling cars) is rewarded in both more money (not much) and encouragement. If you are not selling, you will be "coached" with a steady stream of documentation outlining what it is that you need improvement on. No matter what, the sales managers are documenting everything you do and you are constantly acknowledging their observations.

Cons

It's all about drinking the carmax cool aide, or the appearance of it. False sense of worth, do not think for a minute a sales consultant not selling the most cars,but doing well is relevent. We all wondered why the LGM location general manager wouldn't say more than a couple of words to us one on one. Sales pukes are the lowest form, easily replaced and not worth getting to know. If you understand that and can live with it, you will be fine. It takes 55-60 hours a week to make $1,000 a week so the lazy and those needing constant positive feedback for their ego need not apply

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

"Great Work Life Balance, Rewarding Career"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Laurel, MD

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company cares about the associates, training is comprehensive, compensation is decent, work life balance is great for those who value quality time with the family, good relationships can be developed with others, opportunities for growth is plenty, promotions are fast if willing to relocate.

Cons

I have been there over a year and I haven't seen any downside to this company. I will update my note if I see anything that gets my attention.

Advice to Management

Please maintain the great culture of CarMax as the company grows in the years ahead.

2. "Great part time income"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ellicott City, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at CarMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can routinely average over $30/hr for part time work

Cons

Pay is all commissions, you have to work for it

Advice to Management

Great training and mgmt support