CarMax - Good company, sales driven, less than great pay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

"Good company, sales driven, less than great pay"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hickory, NC
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hickory, NC

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, cares about employees, easy to get hired

Cons

Not great pay, aggressive sales goals, drama

Advice to Management

Get rid of favoritism

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

"A good twist on the business of selling cars, but car salesmen (and women) are still car salesmen"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at CarMax full-time

Pros

CarMax employs a great training program for sales consultants. They truly believe in their philosophy, and back it up with not only a comprehensive month-long initial training period, but continuous training on a weekly (sometimes daily basis). The company cares about the quality of their product. And they do so while making (in my estimation), a solid profit for their stakeholders.

Cons

Unfortunately, while a company can instill good behaviors in its sales force, that doesn't eliminate the bad habits that car salesmen have learned elsewhere. One of the hallmarks of car sales (or likely many commission-driven businesses which rely on foot traffic, is the "ups" list. Sales consultants wait on this list, and as customers arrive, whomever is "up" (the sales consultant at the top of this list) takes the incoming customer. However, as I learned quickly, not all "ups" are the same. Some customers are more likely to purchase than others, and seasoned sales consultants are able to make this assessment even before a customer walks in the door. At the same time, sales consultants can also tell when a customer is not as likely to purchase a vehicle. So, even though a sales consultant is "up" (or near the top of the ups list), if they see a customer approaching whom they estimate to be an unlikely buyer, the sales consultant will vanish.

There were instances when I was fourth or fifth from the top of the ups list, but the sales consultants ahead of determined that an approaching customer was not worthy of their time, and they all suddenly had something else to do. Consequently, I suddenly became "up", and engaged the new customer. The first few times this occurred, I was pleasantly surprised. After a few times, I was not. My "co-workers" were fairly accurate in their estimation of the likelihood (or ability) that a customer would purchase a vehicle. Even someone whom I trained with had told me about similar experiences, and that he had even pointed out to another salesman that a particular customer whom he was ignoring was his.

Advice to Management

Police the "ups" list. And enforce penalties for those who do not adhere to it.

"CarMax is a nice place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and fun people, good working environment, opportunity for responsibility. Fair and friendly management.

Cons

Less career growth opportunity than other companies and the compensation seems below other local Fortune 500 companies.