CarMax - Fun place to work for extra cash. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

"Fun place to work for extra cash."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at CarMax part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was able to work part time and earn extra cash. Good training, set schedule, clear job requirements, easy to understand pay scale. Get to drive almost every kind of car out there.

Cons

The hours can get long, especially when you don't have sales coming in. No downtime, always on ready to go, it is a sales job after all.

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

"It is what it is..."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and good working environment.

Cons

Not much available for upward movement.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate a sales consultants pay scale. Keep up with inflation.

2. "It pays the bills"

Current Employee - Detailer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Detailer in Houston, TX

I have been working at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can be nice if you are interested in the Sales, Business, and Buyers departments. Those three departments can help you get ahead.

Cons

The Operations department that I worked for was indeed very volume oriented even though they said detail oriented first and then volume later. Because I take pride in things that I do, this was not the position for me, at least according to my supervisor.

Advice to Management

Hire Cosmetic Supervisors who know HOW to supervise and WHAT to supervise. My supervisor had been there a year and I knew more than he did in just 2 months. Make sure they do not skip steps to make us detailers cut corners and do things we are not hired to do. Also, the policy in place that says one may not move positions until 6 months of working at Carmax should only be put into place for EACH department, not as a whole. I have a bachelors and a position opened in the buyers department that I was eligible for but I would have to wait 4 more months to apply for it but I was in the Operations department. Each department has a unique set of needed skills and my skills would fit better in the position I wanted rather than the position I had. Plus, if I were to be hired to that position and someone was hired to fill my operations position, then you would increase productivity overall by matching people to areas they are actually good at.