CarMax - Disappointed | Glassdoor

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong connection will get you to the next level. Was promoted in less than one years time.
Family type atmosphere
With a true Associate Engagement based LGM, you are empowered to drive change, be innovative and most importantly trusted to make the right decision until proven otherwise

Cons

Micro Managed to the point of scheduling events in a calendar and reading what we wrote in the body to make sure we know what we are doing. As a sales manager it is almost impossible to respect sales consultants time with customers and hold meetings, let a long the constant changes in your calendar from the LGM.
In less than 2 years have cycled through 3 LGM's. No consistency amongst them in direction, expectations and training
Have not seen a pay plan for my position after asking multiple times
No road map or visual guide on what it takes to get to the next level. Its based on who you know and with the rapid change in LGM's.
No credit based on experience that you bring to the table from previous years, masters degree, etc. Cookie cutter training and development that can be very demeaning. Done in effort to check the box.
Too many customer returns for mechanical issues that affects sales consultant pay in lack of ability to work on a fresh sale. Also makes it difficult for the sales manager to hit the daily budget. Raised the concerns multiple times and the quality level has not improved.
Pending LGM, Treating Associates With Respect, is either rock solid or based on that LGM's level of maturity. I have never worked for a company that mocks or laughs about other peoples mistakes out in the open. Your peers know better, but have been beaten down to accept it. Or unfortunately have no options for alternative work.
To call in a sales manager on their scheduled day off for unsubstantial reasons (i.e. training that is not due for another 2 weeks) is unethical. Or even to call them in for floor coverage when there are already 5 sales managers on the floor, sends a strong message that you don't care about your staff. You are only nurturing your ego.
I was an exceptional performing employee with exceptional results. I implemented out of the box programs that are in place now at other stores. With the lack in clarity on how to obtain my future goals, seeing the lack of support for my peers as well as the sales consultants on the floor, the inconsistent expectations, and low subpar bonus structure I had to leave.

Advice to Management

Take a step back from the KMXU training and spend some hands on time at your stores to focus on the principles of people leadership, effective change management and associate engagement. You treat employees well, they will walk through fire for you. Focus on teaching your LGM's how to coach and develop. Hold your LGM's accountable to TAWR. Conduct an unannounced go and see so that you can see beyond the smoke screens and mirrors. Also, it takes too long to hold associates accountable for unethical behaviors. Foster an environment so that those that know what's happening in the store will speak up to protect the company, store and associates.

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

"There's a reason the company is constantly hiring salespeople"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good initial paid training, benefits aren't bad. They seem to hire good people, they just can't keep them.

Cons

Terrible work / life balance, low pay for this industry, extreme micro-management.

Advice to Management

The idea that you can't manage something unless you measure it first can only be taken so far. Your salespeople are only paid when someone signs on the bottom line and leaves with a car, they don't get paid to attend meetings, spend hours each day updating their contact database, or emailing people because simply calling them on the phone number they've provided "doesn't count" according to Carmax corporate definitions. Either start paying your salespeople a salary plus commission, so they can justify gathering the reams of information they know is much more valuable to corporate than it is to them, or ease up on the micromanagement.

"Most Honest Company... But Cheap"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at CarMax part-time (More than a year)

Pros

No haggling on prices, customers have 5 day money back, great environment, No quotas, won't get fired if you don't sale a car

Cons

Strictly commission, $160 per car you sale, $100 if they get a service plan and $15 for credit applications. But you don't get paid to go to the daily meetings but they are mandatory, you don't get paid for appraisals, nor test drives but you can't say no. And they will pay you minimum wage based off the hours you work only if you made less then that amount selling cars. BUT THEY WILL DEDUCT IT FROM YOUR NEXT CHECK! CHEAP

Advice to Management

Too many professional development meetings and we don't get paid for it.