CarMax - Tiresome and rigid management procedures, but if you can get over that, it's not bad | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

"Tiresome and rigid management procedures, but if you can get over that, it's not bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work, life balance. Flexible vacation policy, nice home office building

Cons

Culture that needs new programs to validate people are continually improving. Revolving door of new programs and training takes the eye off more important conversations that teams need to be focused on, like selling more cars.

Advice to Management

Stop shoveling training down our throats and forcing crazy procedures for future promotions.

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

"Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dulles, VA

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that you work with

Cons

Horrible place to work. I do not understand that they cannot get rated highly. The only place I know that they treat there sales department like crap. This is why the turned around is high with sales and with managers.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what advice you give they will never change.

"This is a top 100 company to work for?"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, OH

I worked at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offer good sales training, decent benefits, almost a reasonable job if you only do it part time.

Cons

Long hours, few weekends off, low pay for the industry, extreme micro managing.

Advice to Management

Your salespeople are only paid when they sell a car, stop making them spend half their time performing administrative functions such as updating their data base tasks, or clicking on the same training video they've seen 11 times, or emailing a web lead instead of calling them, all so they get "credit" for meeting the CarMax requirements. Being pulled aside once or twice a week by management to have their recorded calls reviewed, or their time cards analyzed for possible punches in at 9:02 rather than 9:00 also takes time away from selling cars.
    And finally- pay your people a competitive wage. In the 8 months I was there, 3 sales people and 2 business office people left for other dealers, despite the CarMax motto of their method being "the way car sales ought to be".