CarMax - I can't say I look forward to coming to work most days. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

"I can't say I look forward to coming to work most days."

Current Employee - Buyer
Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Job Security - if you don't screw up. Vacation time is always granted.

Cons

Retail hours that are not very consistent...comes with the territory I guess. The thing that really gets to me is the fact that I feel stuck in my current position. I have been with this company for over 8 years...EIGHT YEARS!...and not one genuine conversation about moving up and getting to the next level. Sure they make it known that those opportunities are there and will always be...but in reality...if you are outside the circle, you will always be outside the circle. I have done everything asked of me and then some. Worked my a$$ off just for a pat on the back and a "Thank You". I have to laugh when they ask me to add more things onto my plate so that maybe someday I will be seen as a "next level" kind of associate. They dangle that carrot and hope I leap for a bite. NO MORE! I'm done trying here, because it hasn't done anything for me in 8 long years, and I don't see it changing things for the future. To top it all off - the pay is well below the industry average for what I do and the experience I have. Yes, I will be leaving as soon as I find another job.

Advice to Management

Stop over managing the associates. A monthly file review is overkill and very much like going to the dentist. Make it quarterly so that we have more to discuss.

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

1. "Its been a bit of a roller coaster ride but i have not been on one that i did not enjoy"

Current Employee - Service Consultant
    Current Employee - Service Consultant

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off. Medical benefits. Internal promotions

Cons

Micro management. Incompetent managers in positions above their heads.

Advice to Management

See the bigger picture. Develop a solid understanding of how other departments operate. Develop your associates with praise as well as developmental feedback.

"No opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at CarMax full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people you work with are good individuals. You can earn some great income with hard work.

Cons

The amount of favoritism in the company was significant to any other company I have worked for. The way to advance in the company is to win over as many people as you can your performance has little to do with it. Work and life balance is horrible in the sales role you end up putting in at least an additional 10-15 hours a week to do well. Incapable sales managers who know very little and end up losing commissions for you.

Advice to Management

Realize the true talent you have in front of you and promote those individuals.