CarMax - Great company to work for, encourages departments to work as a team. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CarMax

"Great company to work for, encourages departments to work as a team."

Former Employee - Lead Business Office Associate in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Lead Business Office Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Socially responsible, volunteering is highly encouraged.

Cons

Sometimes we were set up for failure due to manning issues.

Advice to Management

Address manning issues, especially around the holidays. My only issue at CarMax was when there were call-ins and we were left short staffed without the approval to call unscheduled employees in.
The laid back atmosphere of the 7152 location helped to make me feel like a part of the team, not just the business office. Keep that.

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

"Not a bad intro to the Car Business. But not a good place to make a career."

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Great People
    -Good place to start
    -Simple job with little skill needed to be successful

Cons

-Compensation is not competitive
    -Management make simple tasks out to be world changing initiatives that are only able to be performed by a select few
    -Very easy to become bored and complacent
    -Lots of politics involved to advance
    -Clubhouse management - your either a part of the club or your not
    -Times are changing in the industry and the competition has evolved faster

Advice to Management

Revisit the culture that made CarMax a great company. Over the last 5 years that culture has completely disappeared along with the opportunities and compensation. Go back and find out why your number one asset (your employees since you have forgotten) are leaving for new opportunities. The competition is learning and adapting to the CarMax model and they are offering a future that doesn't exist at CarMax anymore. Training, Culture, Compensation are now 3 things that have taken a back seat to the new CarMax Next Generation model.

2. "If only someone had warned me."

Former Employee - Cosmetic Inspector/Inventory in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cosmetic Inspector/Inventory in Chicago, IL

I worked at CarMax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I got to leave and never looked back.

Cons

-Horrible pay
    -No respect
    -Unprofessional management
    -Racism and sexism complaints easily dismissed
    -Disgusting work spaces
    -Unsanitary restrooms
    -Dangerous during winter
    -Deadly during summer
    -No security measures at all
    -Expired/uncooked food given to employees
    -No commitment towards the actually employee environment
    -Training is dreadful and not helpful or informative at all
    -I hate to be negative but, it is true, basically everything about this store/company was disastrous.
    *Not a rant, true life experience: I really wished there were better things to say about a company I thought was once great but now I will never allow friends or family members to even give them business because of the knowledge of what actually happens behind the scenes. A despicable company hiding behind the mask of pure luck and lies. The company should look a bit closer not only the performance of the store towards sales and why sales are happening but also pay attention to the actual employee 'happiness'. I know not all stores are like this, since I have been to two others while being transferred, so my last remark is this: Everything in a company should be dealt with responsibly and professionally. When personal issues and bonds are the only thing the company has to offer, you should turn around and look for a business - business is always professional and not personal. Good luck.

Advice to Management

Get some professional help. A company should not have to suffer because of incompetent managers that have no past experience in cars nor sales. (Horrible judgement)