CarMax - Challenging but rewarding | Glassdoor

"Challenging but rewarding"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at CarMax part-time

Pros

The pros are great benefits. They pay a good portion of my college. Everyone is respectful of each other and there is a "family feel". Carmax already has an established name so you never have to worry about getting customers. The pay can be great if you work hard. Even when im doing bad for the pay period, I'm doing 9x better then my previous job.
They are open to hiring younger/less experienced people. Carmax provides training and its not impossible to be hired at 18 but you have to really stand out.

Hours are very steady. Part time is better than full time because you don't have to go to all the meetings/huddles.
Best part time job for sure.

Seems there are opportunities for advancement if you stay in the company long enough.

Cons

Customers think you are hourly, so they will show up when you are not there and you will lose a hard earned sale.
Weather affects traffic. In the winter you see less people than in the summer.
There is no steady paycheck.
At some times you do feel like you are micro managed but it is a sales job.

Advice to Management

I love Carmax but putting "Hiring" signs right behind the podium does not send the right message to your workers.

Other Employee Reviews for CarMax

"sales consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at CarMax full-time

Pros

Excellent environment to work at, it is a great place to learn and develop. If you don't have any sales experience and want to learn from the best, come to work here!

Cons

commission based only, so the slow days kills you, but on one good day, you will forget the bad ones!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and the effort of giving the employees a better working environment! I love carmax and hope to keep working there for a long time!

2. "BAD PLACE TO WORK"

I have been working at CarMax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

its a job a very bad one

Cons

if you like to get controlled and manipulated please work at CarMax very easy to get fired there all someone has to do is tell the management you where mean to them and they will fire you there policies are not truthful and they even do not follow there policies

Advice to Management

close your doors its companies like this that make the world a bad place