Carbonite - So great I came back for another round | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Carbonite

"So great I came back for another round"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Carbonite is hands down the best place I've worked. In addition to being able to work with some of the smartest and more driven people it's ever been my pleasure to know Carbonite, more than any other company has shown a genuine interest in promoting and developing employees. If you're dedicated and passionate about developing your career Carbonite is the place to do it.

Cons

The coffee machine breaks a lot, they don't order enough pop tarts and you have to take the green line other than that it's the best job I ever had.

Advice to Management

Keep finding smart people and keep moving them up and Carbonite will be a great place to work for a long time.

Also get coconut seltzer, it's really the only flavor we're lacking.

Other Employee Reviews for Carbonite

1. "amazing opportunity to learn"

Current Intern - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Software Development Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Carbonite as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn and excel.
    You are free to take your chances
    Great people to work with.
    Good work culture and team
    Always keeps you motivated
    great monday breakfast

Cons

Boston wheather can be somewhat a problem in winters
    Office Space

"Worst company I have ever worked for (Lewiston)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lewiston, ME

I have been working at Carbonite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to put Tech Support on your Resume.

Cons

-Supervisors don't care about you. They care about your numbers. If you ever get sick or snowed in, you will get written up. If it happens enough (which in Maine, getting snowed in is a given), you're fired.

-There's a reason they're always hiring. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone on the call floor that's been there more than a year. If they don't fire you, you'll get tired of being mistreated and quit. In a span of two weeks, 5 people from my row alone disappeared. One of which was a rare employee that had been here for over a year and had medical problems.

-Underhanded business practices. (Throttling upload speeds without notifying the customer, enabling auto-renew by default)

-The program is marketed to be able to step aside and not take up any resources. Watch your resource manager, especially on a Mac. Carbonite hogs a lot of power and can slow some computers to a crawl.

-You can get a perfect score from a customer and make them happy, but still get a fatal score from QA or your manager for any reason.

-They advertise Tier 1, 2 and 3 tech support. Tier 1 is being phased out and called Customer Service. It's the same job, but with more work since they got rid of the actual Customer Service role. Nipick: CS doesn't look as good as Tier 1 on a resume.

-Most Tier 2s are unqualified. They should have certifications and basic computer knowledge, but most of them got promoted for time dedicated to the company, not how skilled they are with computers. If you call in for tech support, be wary, they may do more harm than good. I fielded many a call from angry customers calling back. Luckily, there are a few Tier 2s that are good, and DID get promoted for having certifications and computer knowledge, but not nearly enough.

-The same can apply to Tier 1. The hiring managers have hired people that do not own computers to take on the role of tech support!

-We used to be able to help customers get their computer sorted out after they restore their files. Not anymore. As soon as your files are back, we're supposed to forward you to support.com, a terrible remote support company that has hurt more than they've helped.

-Training. You're promised over a month of training. Many classes were given 2 weeks.

Advice to Management

David Friend: Not sure if you're aware of all the above or not, but considering you're stepping down when most of this is coming to light is sending the wrong message.

To the supervisors of the call center floor and management: Start treating your employees and customers like people instead of trying to get low numbers and people would want to work there longer. Look at literally every call center in the US and India; you already have the best wait times. Why are you so mean to your teams?

Carbonite Response

Jun 2, 2014 – Senior People Strategy Manager

Hello, and thank you for your feedback. We work diligently with each employee that is having difficulties with their employment and encourage you to reach out directly to our Director or VP of ... More