Cardinal Peak - prepare yourself for churn | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"prepare yourself for churn"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Cardinal Peak full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The administrative / recruiting / HR staff are good folks, and the hiring process is fast and smooth. They hemorrhage employees so quickly they've got a lot of practice with hiring and on-boarding.

They can afford *at least* Glassdoor mean salary for a senior engineer in the area, so your negotiations with them should start above that.

Cons

What they don't make clear during hiring is that Cardinal Peak's product is you (the engineer), and absolutely nothing else. Your job isn't to produce software, it is to produce billable hours. So long as the customer doesn't complain about the work product or the time it takes, well, let's just say everyone has a story about a certain SVP making "hah hah just kidding" comments about running up the bill for certain customers who can afford it.

They've got huge jars of candy right by the front door, that are kept well stocked. As though easy access to a bunch of sugar is something you want in a largely sedentary job.

They'll tell you the work is interesting and how they do cool things. A couple of guys are doing interesting, occasionally cool things. Everyone else is grinding out mobile apps and programming microcontrollers for the same sort of hardware over and over.

A career ladder was introduced earlier this year, with junior engineer positions, and staff engineer positions above "senior" (smack in the middle, with 95% of the engineers at that level). The only sign that management remembers the ladder exists is that they've started hiring junior engineers to put at the bottom of the ladder.

Advice to Management

You run the all hands' meetings like shareholders meetings. Engineering compensation isn't affected by your revenue, and our job stability isn't affected by your revenues and sales funnel, either. We can all get work elsewhere.

Tell us when we're going to get a higher-than-normal profit sharing, or when we, the employees will actually benefit from your increasingly reckless growth. So far we're just getting lines in front of the men's rooms.

Stop behaving like sales people when you're talking to your employees.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Interesting Work, Challenging, Great team"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lafayette, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lafayette, CO

I have been working at Cardinal Peak full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting work without the drama of a startup or big company. Just the right size for the serious engineer who wants to do real engineering.

Cons

Folks don't get to know everyone quickly or easily- the way projects are parsed out mean engineers from different disciplines don't interact enough.

"Have loved my time here"

Current Employee - Engineering in Lafayette, CO
    Current Employee - Engineering in Lafayette, CO

I have been working at Cardinal Peak full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cardinal Peak provides work that changes all the time and is challenging. The projects were all for products that went to market commercially and a lot of them were pretty cool commercial electronics products that were awesome to see on store shelves.

Cons

You have to be prepared for change. New projects come in all the time so if you want to settle in and just repeat the same work over and over you could get overwhelmed.

Discover more reviews about Cardinal Peak.