CareerBuilder - Great place to work as a software engineer! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CareerBuilder

"Great place to work as a software engineer!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norcross, GA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent culture, 40 hour work weeks (36 in the summer with summer hours), lots of opportunities for contributing innovative ideas such as "hack days" each quarter where engineers can work on and present tech ideas to C-levels (and get paid $10K and get 6 weeks to implement the idea if it is one of the winners). There are so many fun areas to work in and you will learn so much more here than at other jobs.

Cons

The company seems to have ADD - constantly changing priorities, moving people between teams and products, and changing strategy, goals, and focus.

Advice to Management

Big ideas require more than 3 weeks to implement and pull all the way through. We're a great company at starting new things, but we're very bad at pulling things through to deliver customer value. I would recommend working on a better process for ensuring valuable engineering ideas are not forgotten or cut off due to a lack of long-term planning skills among those making product/project decisions.

Other Employee Reviews for CareerBuilder

"Senior Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- If you're in management, it's a great place to be.
    - Location in Downtown Chicago is perfect for commuters
    - Matt Ferguson (CEO) is a great leader
    - Yearly Kick-off is very cool. Some great speakers like Bill Clinton, George W. Bush..etc.

Cons

- I worked there for 4 years. Worked my way up from inside sales, to management, to senior outside sales (which is still basically inside sales). In each role, I was a top performer, exceeding expectations and rapid promotion. However, one bad November and December that put me at 98% of my number, put me out the door. Let go.

- Employee moral is a joke. Everyone just complains about their manager, but nothing ever happens. Then that person who complained about the manager suddenly becomes a manager themselves and end up doing exactly the same things they had just complained the old manager was doing.

- No such thing as a bad year, let alone a bad quarter - you're fired if that happens.

- POPULARITY CONTEST. If you're not in the "in" crowd, you won't be moving up very quickly.

- If you have a family, not really a place for you (unless you like jobs w/o security).

- Time off. They give you typical time off (vacation/pto/sick..etc), but if you use them, you're pegged as the person who doesn't want to be there. I never used any of my vacation for two reason. 1. Didn't want to seem like I wasn't "gun-ho" CB. 2. You miss some time, you might have a bad month.. do that, you're fired.

- Many of the managers are terrible. There are some great ones, no doubt.. but most are scrubs. Once they move into a sales role, they act on formality and lose touch of what it's like as a sales rep.

- I gave my life to CB, sold more that $6.8mm and all i got was this lousy pink slip.

- Didn't realize how poor the pay was until I left and got another job.

- Apparently the "cool executives" aren't very cool at all. Not uncommon for them to "be close" with their female employees.

Advice to Management

Managers in VBU and Middle Markets over AE's & SAE's should only be allowed to stay in a manager role for 12-24 months, then it should be required to go back into sales as they lose touch of their teams.

For an organization that pitch includes the phrase "your most important asset, your people", you certainly don't practice what you preach. I know I know.. you take them on a Trip - some things are worth the price.. and if you didn't go on the trip, you'll be fired in 6 months anyway so start looking!

"great sales company to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-great management top to bottom
    -young, smart employees
    -great pay, benefits, and training
    -advancement opportunities based on performance

Cons

-Quotas can get unattainable after years of success

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Definitely heading in the right direction