CareerBuilder - It's hard to complain about ANYTHING at CareerBuilder - they know how to take care of people. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CareerBuilder

"It's hard to complain about ANYTHING at CareerBuilder - they know how to take care of people."

Current Employee - Data Scientist II in Norcross, GA
Current Employee - Data Scientist II in Norcross, GA

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CareerBuilder understands how to manage and keep their employees happy and consequently, hard working. The 'pull' job structure ensures that micro-managing will never occur and that employees are given what they need in order to complete the tasks in front of them. Never have I been told to 'wrap it up', give less than 100% or limit my hours on a project so that it can be completed before some artificial deadline. In almost all cases, the work is complete when you say that it is. Despite this seemingly slow philosophy, projects get accomplished at an astounding speed at CareerBuilder.

The technology we use at CB is like no other place I've worked... we use virtual desktops for everything, the advantages being that we all have all the storage and processing power we could ever need and in the rare case we need more, all it takes is a call and IT can 'add' virtual storage/power instantly. We see the same 'desktop' and files regardless of where and how we log in - whether it be in the office, from home, from our VDIs or laptop, even iPads and tablets; everything just works and the outstanding IT department is responsible for this.

I'm overlooking quite a bit of the positives, but lastly I will discuss the benefits. I'm not aware of any other private sector company that provides benefits as wonderful as CB's. Beyond the standard UHC health insurance (of which the company pays +80% of), what makes CB stand out are all the contest opportunities that exist within the company. Every quarter, for example, we have HackDay or Hack-a-thon where everyone is given a day to throw together an original idea that they believe can bring value to the company in some way, outside their day to day responsibilities. A week later, we all present our ideas and the (usually top 3, sometimes more) winners are selected and given $10k and anywhere from 2 to 5 weeks to make their idea a reality. That means they are completely free from their regular work and are focused on their personal project only. Additionally, there are other contests, one which is annual and pays over $100k to the winner. There is the Diamond Club contest each year that sends the top employees (as selected and voted on by management) to some enjoyable location for a week - all expenses paid. This year it is Cabo San Lucas. There are so many opportunities to prove yourself at CB, if you have the desire to do more than the minimum, you WILL be rewarded nicely in time.

That's what it all comes down to, in my opinion. CB is a place where passion thrives and is [more than appropriately] rewarded. If you have that entrepreneur type work ethic and love what you do, CB gives you chance after chance to profit from it. Further, they give you the chance to see your ideas realized, and in most cases, you retain the rights to your own ideas, as well! How many other companies can say that?

Additionally, the company just spent a few million dollars renovating the Norcross office - we now have a beautiful new work space, break room (including top of the line ping pong table, pool table, foosball, arcade games, etc), all new furniture and gorgeous conference rooms loaded to the ceiling with technology.

Cons

The only con I really make [and it's less of a 'con' than a personal belief] is that I would like to interact with upper management with more regularity. While I work closely with my boss every day, it's only once a month or so that I may actually have a meeting with his boss. I think many of the projects we work on would be improved and ultimately completed faster if there was more interaction between management levels. Aside from that, there's nothing else worth complaining about. CB is full of excellent, hard working people with excellent leadership and it shows in my inability to find anything worth really complaining about.

Advice to Management

While nit-picky, I would like to see some changes made to scoring systems used in our contests so that all applicants are given a more equal chance of winning, regardless of the department they come from. Currently, those working on the web development teams have a built in advantages due to the number of employees (and thus voters) that also exist within their department. I believe the voting would be more objective if a small team of management level(?) judges were to make all rounds of voting themselves, instead of crowd-sourcing the entire office/democratically voting. Alternatively, some kind of 'electoral college' could be created so that votes can be proportionally adjusted, thus allowing the merit of the idea to be the main driver of success. Again, this is nit-picky. I do not mean to imply that the contests are unfair or unjust, but I do believe we could improve upon the process further.

Other Employee Reviews for CareerBuilder

"Major Account Executive"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast moving company
    Opportunity for advancement if you're hitting your #'s
    Fun culture
    Amazing annual sales meeting with awesome guest speakers
    Great company to learn how to sell and hone solution-based selling strategies
    Good total compensation (but fairly low base pay)
    Great President's Club trips

Cons

Success is largely determined by manager and account book
    There are some inexperienced and undeserving sales managers
    Senior leadership is misguided and sometimes downright harsh to their reps
    Quotas can quickly become unreachable for enterprise reps early in the year
    Territories are not carved out correctly, lots of misplaced accounts across the country and within sales units

Advice to Management

Level the playing field for reps
    Stop rewarding managers with average results from their sales teams (2 reps out of 9 making trip is not deserving of a free trip to Hawaii)
    Even up account books (there are huge discrepancies in billing revenue in assigned account bases)

2. "I feel like I'm my own boss"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Relaxed atmosphere - very much adheres to the "Disciplined Freedom" motto
    2. Lots of room for advancement - the company provides a very good career mapping program
    3. Fantastic benefits
    4. The company is excitedly open to new ideas from all levels of employees - they even host multiple contests per year around this
    5. The company really rewards hard work, innovation, and passion
    6. Best of all - there's always catered food for some event!

Cons

The compensation seems to be slightly lower than industry averages

Advice to Management

Turnover seems to be a little high, maybe work on compensation to keep the great people we have