CareerBuilder - Great starter job for recent grads | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for CareerBuilder

"Great starter job for recent grads"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nowadays it seems all employers want experience, but few are willing to actually give you any. It's like they expect you to graduate from college and automatically have 5 years of experience. Careerbuilder was the opposite. They seemed to prefer people straight out of college. Put a few hundred 22 year old's in an office and it makes for a pretty fun place to work!...at least for a while.

On top of that, benefits were great and there were plenty of pretty girls to oogle over!

Cons

There's lots of turnover for the sales staff. It didn't matter if you were normally an all-star salesperson. If you were down on your luck and failed to hit your quota 2 months in a row, they let you go. It was often times ice cold. Someone once told me that approximately 50% of entry-level sales people they hire will be gone within 6 months and only 10% will make it one year. Based on what I saw, I'd say that was probably fairly accurate. When the recession hit in '09, things seemed to ease up a bit in terms of cutting people more slack, but I have no idea how it is now.

Favoritism existed on my team. It eventually got to the point where I was spinning my wheels at CB. Despite having seniority on my team and quality job performance, I wasn't buddy-buddy with my manager the way others were. Therefore I was going nowhere. The longer I worked there, the more things seemed to deteriorate. I clearly had overstayed my welcome.

Overall, great place to work when you're just starting out. But this place is mostly a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I've moved on from CB, but some days I miss it. I've even found myself curiously checking their Careers page to see if they have anything matching my current skill set.

Other Employee Reviews for CareerBuilder

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing people; I met so many of my best friends working here, friends I will have for life.

Cons

Too much red tape - sometimes makes it hard to just sell.

Advice to Management

Communication between departments needs to get better.

2. "Can be a good place to work"

Current Employee - National Account Executive
    Current Employee - National Account Executive

I have been working at CareerBuilder full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

True sales culture. Some great leaders, amazing Kick-off and Presidents club trips. Moving toward a data solutions company and has some exciting new products.

Cons

Executive leadership doesn't get "good" information. Management feeds them what they want to hear. Often times it seems that selling to customers takes a back seat to the internal red tape that exist.

Advice to Management

Find a solution to stop turnover of senior reps.