Cargill - Overall, my experience at Cargill was ok. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Cargill

"Overall, my experience at Cargill was ok."

I worked at Cargill full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Learning, relaxed management, able to "own" my job and help others, lots of say in what I did. I worked with many people from different business units which gave me a great perspective on the business and how my role had an impact.

Cons

The pay was good, but only mediocre. My actual job did not match my job title, so they got away with paying me less than other companies would for the same job. They would not change it. I was hired on and moved to two different roles within the company before they started making bachelor's degrees mandatory for the positions I had. Unfortunately, this practice stopped and I was no longer able to move up into the company. I was stuck in my role. Personality conflicts with others is managed poorly. Poor performing employees and supervisors are held in their positions too long. My role also required me to be on call, with back-up rotation. Turned out I was on call 24/7, even on vacation.

Advice to Management

Ensure that job descriptions and job title's are consistent with industry standards. Pay employees slightly better than industry averages. I found out that a new engineer in supervisor training (with bachelor's degree) was getting paid about the same as me. Not good for new engineers just out of college. Cargill may have better recruits if they paid a little more. Most important, if a new employee just isn't working out please move them to a different role or boot them out the door. The wait and see if they improve approach does not work in most cases.

Other Employee Reviews for Cargill

1. "Great company"

Pros

Solid culture, great work / life balance.

Cons

Slow moving, risk averse, managers sometimes have tunnel vision since they have been with the company so long.

"procurement"

I worked at Cargill full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company that will be around for a long time

Cons

Engineers are promoted without the skill sets necessary to mange people

Advice to Management

promote from within