Caribou Coffee - It's okay | Glassdoor

"It's okay"

Current Employee - Barista in Lorton, VA
Current Employee - Barista in Lorton, VA

Pros

It's a very easy job, and you have a lot of free time on your hands most of the time. You get many free drinks for yourself during your shift, and you get to meet a lot of new people. My manager is nice, but she can be rude sometimes.

Cons

The pay is low, and a lot of my supervisors make mistakes and I get blamed for them because I'm the newbie. Sometimes it's unfair, but I learn to deal with it.

Advice to Management

They should hire more competent people as supervisors. My manager is great, but my supervisors are a pain. My manager is great though.

Other Employee Reviews for Caribou Coffee

"Horrible pay, benefits and get ready to move stores- Often"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

free shift drink
    not a tough business to manage

Cons

no 401k match
    low pay for what the store generates in profit and compared to other similar companies
    no room to move up
    store managers are moved around frequently - store manager for 4 years in 9 different stores!
    They want to overstaff the stores, now no one in my store can get more than 10-15 hours because of this,
    DMs are moved around as frequently as store managers
    Hard to believe that a company that goes through this much milk doesn't recycle! my store throws away over empty 150 milk jugs each week!!!!

Advice to Management

Let your stores be themselves- the dress code is too tight, employees cannot show off their personality
    reevaluate your pay scale stores can easily afford to pay their managers 5-7k more per year and give most of their staff a $1 raise- this would lower turnover and you could actually build a culture in your stores.
    Recycle!
    401k match- every other company does this

2. "Would recommend in some cases"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

- Challenging but not overbearing workload
    - Good environment to build relationships with coworkers and customers
    - Hours are flexible, there is enough staff should a shift need to be covered as well
    - Product is higher quality than competitors and easy to get behind
    - Store managers are very supportive and positive
    - Benefits are standard

Cons

- Penny-pinchers. Reducing costs seems more important than developing staff and growing business.
    - Evident disconnect between corporate office and stores, signs of distrust of retail employees
    - Supervisors only paid wage when supervising shift, not when another supervisor or manager is present (valuing people on tasks performed, not overall contribution)
    - Communication is clear, but often times limited and/or lacks follow-up

Advice to Management

Solicit feedback from all team members about how to improve stores, improve operations, and save money... there are a lot of good ideas out there! Improve amount of communication, and follow up when unexpected changes occur.