Caribou Coffee - Fun atmosphere and people, district communication was rough | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

"Fun atmosphere and people, district communication was rough"

Former Employee - Team Member in Gambrills, MD
Former Employee - Team Member in Gambrills, MD

I worked at Caribou Coffee part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product was fun to make and learn about - the company really stresses knowing about each individual coffee and understanding the process of how coffee is made. It was fun to learn and challenge myself with sales. Team members' compensation isn't based on sales, but managers would regularly let us know how our store was doing in our district, and how our district was doing company-wide, which helped with motivation to succeed as a team. Caribou wants you to make a connection with every guest and express your unique personality. I was always pushed to keep getting better at what I did. I loved learning guests' drinks and chatting with regulars.

Cons

I appreciate the Rainforest Alliance initiative but a farmers co-op would be better (like Equal Exchange has), as would the across-the-board use of organic coffee, milk and teas. Even though individual store managers were awesome, morale in the district was pretty low and a lot of time managers are put in tough situations and forced to hire or keep team members that just didn't care or didn't make any effort to do a good job, show up on time, follow standard operating procedures, etc. So that's frustrating, but overall it's a fun work environment and everybody tries to work as a team.

It's also hard to know you're serving something that's not really the best for people to be consuming a ton of - when people get the same giant, caffeinated, fat-filled drink every single day - it's good for sales but it's not good for them!! And it's hard to hand that over every day to someone you have come to care about when they're a regular. Once in a while, okay, go for the large with half n half and whipped cream and two extra shots but, man! I know it's not my fault or Caribou's that people regularly order, pay for, and consume those types of drinks but it's hard to feel great about it all the time.

That being said, I really did appreciate the variety of products and the effort Caribou puts in to making the quality good as well.

Advice to Management

Overall I loved working for Caribou Coffee. Store managers do a great job motivating the team but it seems like they're extremely stressed out and underpaid a lot of the time. Put some more time, effort, and $ into training, rewarding, and generally taking care of these people!

Other Employee Reviews for Caribou Coffee

"This Place is a Joke"

Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Caribou Coffee part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-free half pound or 12 tea bags a week
    -shift drink
    -fun coworkers
    -flexible scheduling
    -training prepares employee so they can properly perform their job

Cons

This company is not the same that it was. Recent changes in management and corporate restructuring have made this a horrible place to work. First it is ridiculous that shift supervisors are paid less when working with another shift or manager. They can't pay their employees proper wages but somehow they can afford to give out BOGO's and half off coupons to customers every other week. Corporate clearly does not know what theyre doing. They trying to make the company be successful by going in different directions. They need to choose a path and stick to it so Caribou can be successful. Releasing new drinks, beans, bakery items, and useless merchandise every other month is not helping. Upper management is a joke in this company. Most of the new managers are people with very little training that barely know how to do their job. They play favorites and don't care about what the employee has to say. This company claims to be all about making employees "happy" and that everyone has a "voice" in the company. This is not true. This company used to be about the customer, now its just all about profits.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop releasing new products that don't sell. And then don't disciplineus when customers don't want to buy them.

2. "A fun place to work--BAMA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN

Pros

With an emphasis on "making connections", working at Caribou helped mold my customer service skills. Getting to know your regulars is a lot of fun. Overall, it's a good high school/college job.

Cons

Working the drive-thru can be stressful and incredibly frustrating. There's A LOT of cleaning involved when working here.

Advice to Management

My store held meetings which I thought were effective in getting every one on the same page. There were also frequent meetings with managers that would let us discuss any issues/concerns we were having. Overall, I had no qualms with the management.