Caribou Coffee - It could be much better | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Caribou Coffee

"It could be much better"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I love my customers, my staff and the quality of the products we offer.

Cons

Management - DM's and upward who have little to no idea what it is truly like to work in a store and base their thinking/ideas for improvement/etc on theory. Also, it is hard to be motivated when most of the feedback you get is critical and the victories/wins you do make go unnoticed.

Advice to Management

Stop the repeat visits to your rock star stores where you can gloat about what a great job YOUR Store Manager is doing. How about visiting the not-so-high-profile stores and giving those store manangers some encouragment? Seriously look at updating the older stores to increase efficiency and safety for you employees instead of just looking at the ROI.

Other Employee Reviews for Caribou Coffee

1. "Great coffee, but no chance of promotion in management and huge manager turnover"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Duluth, MN

Pros

Great coffee with a free half pound every week.
    Free shift drink every shift
    30% employee discount
    Flexible schedule
    lots and lots of espresso!

Cons

For a manager in a remote location there is no chance of promotion, but the carrot is always being dangled in front of your face. For the most part the pay for managers is on the low end of the scale and the yearly raises can be a huge disappointment.
    managers are required to work 45 hours a week...though they tell you that it can be flexible depending on needs of business...it is not and you must schedule yourself no less than 45...but that is a lot less than usual in F&B, however this is more of a retail position.
    Of those 45 hours you are required to work a minimum of 31 hours on the floor. Basically you are a glorified barista. and you have a lot of administrative work to get down in those remaining 14 hours.
    Your district manger turnover is huge and I had 5 different DMs in the less than 4 years that I worked there. Each has their own expectations...some labor, some COGS, so focus on guests. You have to constantly be switching the area that you need to focus on.
    Frequently you are given tasks that are just busy work and then you never hear about them again. For example spending hours putting together your dreams and goals and action plans only to have nobody ever review or follow up on them.
    You are expected to always hit labor but are given no budget for training employees. Good luck when you have to hire.

Advice to Management

Spend some time actually reviewing the feedback you insist on your managers giving you. Actually work with your managers and treat them like managers rather than glorified baristas.

"A Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Team Member in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Free coffee, obviously. Good regular customers. Good coworkers, depending on where you work. If you have a good manager and good coworkers, the job can be very fun, despite being busy and understaffed. The drinks are of high quality.

Cons

Caribou management likes to get all tangled around itself. Nobody is ever on the same page. Most of the District Managers have never worked in the store. All the rules are made by people who have no idea what it's like, but continue to enforce these ridiculous things. They also like to play games of 'manager roulette.' I had four managers within four months. I like my manager very much, and I hate to see her being taken advantage of by the DM and everyone above him. She is constantly warned to "lower labor costs." This is IMPOSSIBLE. We only ever have two people at the same time. We're operating at the minimum and she's taking flak for "spending so much money on labor." On the whole, the District Managers are awful. Every email we receive is so rife with spelling and grammatical errors, it looks like a second grader wrote it. Disappointing.

Advice to Management

Stop going around in circles. Hire from within, let store managers actually manage the store.