Carlson Hotels - Front Desk | Glassdoor

"Front Desk"

Current Employee - Front Desk in Bloomington, MN
Current Employee - Front Desk in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Carlson Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the staff I work with. Everyone here is like family to me. It is a fun atmosphere and everyone works well together.

Cons

Honestly I have not been here long, but I have not ran into anything yet that has bothered me.

Other Employee Reviews for Carlson Hotels

1. "Challenging and exciting, but the company does not reward ALL top performers as much as I would like."

Current Employee - Project Manager, Strategic Sourcing in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Project Manager, Strategic Sourcing in Minnetonka, MN

Pros

Exciting industry, challenging environment, good benefits, ambitious goals, promotes good work-life balance, cafeteria on-site, employee discount, good leadership.

Cons

Difficult to be promoted. Some departments/teams are not as valued or recognized as others. Recognition does not always go to all who deserve it. A lot of workplace politics (as with most large companies). At times, departments do not collaborate together well.

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for people to be promoted and recognized (especially those in non-operations roles).

2. "Learn how to learn from others, lead by understanding what is really happening in the industry."

Former Employee - Functional Aea Support Manager, HSSC in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Functional Aea Support Manager, HSSC in Omaha, NE

Pros

The people who work there and loyal and dedicated no matter their surroundings. The benefits and compensation was competative with other industries. Some senior leaders were effective and attentive to their business units. When the company was being run by the Carlson family, it was a family atmosphere and a happy place to be associated with.
    There are few other good reasons to to associated with Catlson because the entire company has changed and the President of the hotels in the Americas- Jay Witzel is behind the times. He should retitre and let someomne who is on the cutting edge of changes that are needed take over the helm.

Cons

Poor promotional opportunities and my personal senior management (VP Franchise Services) was a poor manager, communicator and person.The franchise hotels and their management will not follow Carlson blindly into the future.

Advice to Management

Get to know the individuals and their real strengths and not how well they answer YES to your demands.