Carr Business Systems - Started out well, went downhill quickly. Thrilled to be employed elsewhere. Leaving was the biggest career boost for me. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Carr Business Systems

"Started out well, went downhill quickly. Thrilled to be employed elsewhere. Leaving was the biggest career boost for me."

Former Employee - Administrative in Melville, NY
Former Employee - Administrative in Melville, NY

I worked at Carr Business Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro I can offer is i was hired after a long time away from full time work.

Cons

Carr has a habit of hiring people who are desperate for work. Many of my coworkers were hired after the bottom dropped out of the mortgage industry. That is the way they hire. Desperate people (myself included) who were willing to settle for terrible salaries because they were lied to and told there was great opportunity for salary advancement once you proved yourself. Then they didn't award raises to most (myself not included) for three years because they kept saying the business was not doing well.

Terrible morale amongst the staff. High turnover which I noticed the very moment I was hired. In the beginning of my employment I often thought to myself what a terrible company this must be. I never saw such a revolving door when it came to hires and people leaving.

Terrible upper level management. The decimation of the contracts department was painful. Senior and Mid level management humiliated. The contracts department still has not recovered. I am gratified to see that two years after I resigned they still have not been able to fill my position adequately. Definitely a case of not knowing what you had. Was recently told by two current employees how much I am still missed. Hear awful things about the contracts department. Not responding to customers or coworkers, incompetent and nasty are three things I have heard recently from current customers and coworkers- both current and former employees, all while they have three times the number of people in the department than was there a couple of years ago.

Almost everybody I would characterize as a good employee has either left or been fired, leaving precious few who are competent.

Questionable tactics used with regards to pregnant employees.

Favoritism was rampant.

Low pay and pathetic raises, if they are even awarded.

Training was sad to nonexistent.

Ridiculous exit interview. No actual desire to hear what was causing the huge turnover and make things better.

Advice to Management

Get rid of most of the senior management. Useless for the most part. Stop hiring more senior management at the expense of people who actually do the work.

Other Employee Reviews for Carr Business Systems

"The one positive review is a Joke"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Carr Business Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None, and that is being generous

Cons

If you like working for a lowlife that thinks motivating employees is telling the how EBITA is going up while you comp is going down and every short cut and cost cut is being put in place to compensate for poor sales and leadership than this is the place for you.

In the interview ask what the turnover is like,
    Sad

Advice to Management

Start at the top, rebuild

"Belligerent and Incompetent and a waste of time and effort."

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Carr Business Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only part would be the training you get dealing with a myriad of problems from admin to management which makes any other job you get feel like a vacation (SERIOUSLY)

Cons

The entire structure has no direction, rewards unethical behavior and supports and covers up incompetent management. There is absolutely no sense of purpose to anything a sales representative can do as often admin and management collude to hinder your sales process in order to get credit off of your hard work. The sales representatives are expected to do everything while admin and middle management twiddle their thumbs and collect checks. In my time at the company I saw 10 representatives leave after they have had enough of the disrespect and lack of appreciation for their work. Awards are given out on a brown nose basis, so even if you grit your teeth and work hard, you will see the recognition you earned go to a sales representative who did half your work and was friends with incompetent management. If you go in on a ride day, do not be fooled. It's a screen of positivity that once hired (and they really hire anybody) soon fades away into a dishonest, dis functional, and dim office of disrespect and utter incompetence. Trust me, this is not some disgruntled rep who was fired. I tried my hardest to stay and work hard, but everytime I was met with poorer and poorer management and worse and worse administration.

FYI before you choose this company, look up the lawsuit that is still in process from 2011. It puts what I'm saying into context.

Advice to Management

Fire some of the ridiculous middle management staff and actually establish a comfortable and ethical work environment. You can't hope to advance the brand name of the company if representatives can't even take pride in the work that they do. Also screen some of the sales staff recently they have hired the strangest staff.